Bug: memory view forgets renderings

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: memory view forgets renderings

paulderocco
Contributor III

If I have one or more monitors set up in the Memory View, with appropriate renderings selected, whenever I halt and relaunch, it remembers the monitors (i.e., the addresses I want displayed), but forgets the renderings (the formats that I want applied to the memory displays). It also forgets the width of the renderings pane, which is important because that determines how many bytes appear on a line, and usually I want that to be 16.

Codewarrior was a tiny smidgin better. It would forget everything, too, but it would then create a Hex rendering for each monitor. Actually, now that I think of it, it would create a Hex rendering, and replace the existing rendering with a second Hex rendering, which made no sense.

I've looked for settings that might change this behavior, to no avail. Have I missed something?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

no, you are not missing anything, that's the behaviour of the memory view in Eclipse Kepler.

Erich

0 Kudos

paulderocco
Contributor III

Two points. First, the behavior of Kepler in Codewarrior is like the behavior of Kepler when compiling native C/C++ on my Linux box, in that it replaces my selected renderings with basic Hex byte renderings. The behavior of Kepler in KDS is somewhat different, in that it deletes the renderings entirely. So that can't be blamed on Kepler. So it appears that there are two bugs that need fixing, one of which is certainly Freescale's.

Second, this is a perennial problem with Eclipse-based IDEs. Is the bug in Eclipse itself, or is it a bug in the configuration of Eclipse for the IDE in question (in this case KDS), or is it a bug in some plugin? As a KDS user, I shouldn't have to deal with that question. If there is a bug upstream of Freescale, then Freescale should pass the bug report on. But if this is indeed an Eclipse bug, and Freescale is unwilling to do that, then where do I go to report this bug?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

CodeWarrior is not Kepler, it is Juno (4.2.1), while KDS is stock Eclipse Kepler (4.3.2), so this explains the differerence. Are you sure that you have Kepler (4.3) on your linux box and not Juno?

I do have as well my own Eclipse (Kepler) version on my machine, and the Memory view behaves the same.

That's why I think this is caused by Kepler.

Freescale is using stock/unchanged Kepler, and has no intend to make fixes or patches in that part. So the right place in my view to report this would be in the Eclipse forum. I have not checked it, but it could be that this has been improved in Juno already.

Thanks,

Erich

paulderocco
Contributor III

I do have Kepler on my Linux box, but I guess I hadn't used a memory view since I installed it. You're right, it deletes the renderings. I'll try to find a bug reporting place on Eclipse's site.

Is it generally possible to upgrade the underlying Eclipse engine behind the IDE, or does each version of Eclipse involve changes to what Freescale adds to it?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You might be able to change the Eclipse framework in an existing IDE, but probably only if you are deeply knowledgable in Eclipse IDE development. I would not do that.

It is like changing the engine in a car. Much better approach is to install the engine first, and then build the car around it.

With Eclipse you can do this, and you can build your own KDS version if you want.

There is a multi-step tutorial on how to do this:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/07/20/dyi-free-toolchain-for-kinetis-part-1-gnu-arm-build-tools/

0 Kudos