cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First flight problem

nxf45918
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I am currently working on the first flight procedure. I have the RC transmitter and receiver connected for the transmitter (remote) displays TX and RX. All other settings have been replicated on the transmitter. I then used J-link to upload the bootloader. I made connection with the device, and then I believe I uploaded the correct bootloader: fmuk66v3_bl.bin. I then downloaded QGroundControl to set up the FMU and upload the PX4 firmware. However, my QGroundControl does not connect to the drone, preventing me from moving forward. Do I need to redownload the bootloader or could I have done something wrong in another step?

0 Kudos
4 Replies

iaingalloway
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Here’s a couple of things to check

• I don’t know if you have the newest bootloader – could you point me to where you got it?
  • I will send you the bootloader that I use. I’ll check tomorrow on which is the latest one. (there have only been a couple of revisions)
  • I will also send you *one revision* PX4 software that I know works, but is NOT the most up to date.
    • Please follow the procedure to program it at an offset of 0x6000

See https://nxp.gitbook.io/hovergames/developerguide/program-software-using-debugger#flash-binary-files-...

When you plug in the FMU using a USB cable, it should start flashing yellow to show it is in bootloader mode. You can then try the QGroundControl update method. It may re-enter this state if you press reset button on the side when plugged in to USB. You don’t need the external battery power at this point.

0 Kudos

iaingalloway
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Iain,

I used the fmuk66v3_bl.bin bootloader from the “Downloads” page on the gitbook. I then proceeded to follow all the program directions on the gitbook page “Program software using debugger” which directed me to use J-link to properly upload the bootloader using the memory address 0x0000.

Then instead of using J-link to upload a PX4 firmware file to a memory address of 0x6000 I was going to use the QGroundControl to update the PX4 firmware as directed. Should I be downloading another file to write to the 0x6000 memory address using J-link before using QGroundControl?

Thank you,

Mitchell H Neal

0 Kudos

iaingalloway
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi nxf45918‌ did you see the px4 binary file that i sent in the last email? I'll send it again.. That PX4 software should be programmed at 0x6000

0 Kudos

iaingalloway
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Q:

• After the PX4 firmware is uploaded, then will the yellow flashing stop? What is my indicator that the drone is ready for flight?
  • In addition, once the PX4 firmware is uploaded using J-link, then do I not need QGroundControl to begin flying?
  • do I not need QGroundControl to begin flying?

A:

• The flashing yellow is only present while the bootloader is waiting for the file to START to transfer.
  • Before flying you will need to follow the steps in the gitbook to select the right airframe, calibrate everything and generally setup the drone.
    • You need to have the connection to QGroundControl or you will not be able to see all of this.
  • The file I sent is a bit older, but it will work. You should be able to update to one of the newest firmwares using the bootloader and QGroundcontrol at any time later. NOTE that the most recent master branch is not necessarily stable for any FMU! 
0 Kudos