cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error! - "Could not instantiate communication plugin object"

Jump to solution
saranya_chitta
Contributor III

I'm using S32K144 EVB, with Matlab R2019b and MBDT V4.2. I'm able to build and successfully generate the .mot file, the .elf file for the GPIO example of S32K144.

I'm using a 'PEMicro Multilink Universal FX' debugger with S32Design studio, using the Flash option,  for flashing the board, Disabled auto-build, and select the generated elf that I wanted to flash. (which is GPIO example .elf file in my case) Here's a thread I followed - (https://community.nxp.com/t5/NXP-Model-Based-Design-Tools/Flashing-S32K144-with-PEMicro-Multilink-fr...)

I'm successfully able to flash the .elf to S32K144 EVB using S32DS and the debugger mentioned above.

Expected output: During execution, LED is blue and by pressing SW2, the LED changes color to Green. On the board, I'm seeing the expected output as per the example.

I wanted to check the status of the switch SW2 being used in the example using a real-time debugging tool - FreeMASTER.

I've got the latest version (FreeMASTER 3.1) installed along with FreeMASTER Serial communication driver V2.0

I also got P&E Micro drivers, P&E Multilink Universal installed and everything is up to date as per my knowledge.

I open Freemaster, go to 'options' from the 'Project' menu to connect via 'plug-in' and 'Configure' options since I am using a debugger. I've attached a picture of the error I'm seeing.

It says "Could not instantiate communication plugin object" whenever I try to go under "Project>Options>Configure"

Please help me as to why it is not able to instantiate the plug-in and what I might be missing.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry, I misread that part.

Can you try running the "register.bat". This file registers plugin libraries. It is is located inside FreeMASTER installation folder and should be run with admin privileges. Let me know if you can access the configuration after running this script.

Btw, FreeMASTER serial communication driver V2.0 is a library required by the embedded applications to enable advanced FreeMASTER features on the target side, thus does not affect the host (PC) side.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @saranya_chitta,

After plugin selection you need to configure it for your specific board. After plugin selection press the configure button under the Plugin combobox.

Options.PNG

In your case S32K144 & PE Micro the configuration would look like this:

Plugin Config.PNG

Once the configuration is done check it it by pressing the Test button. If everything is correct you should se the following window:

Plugin Test.PNG

After this step you can confirm the option and connect to the board. You can check this short video to see how to add and monitor your embedded variable in this short video Connecting to the Board starting min 2:15.

Additional note: Without going to deep into details - this enables standard BDM communication (see chapter 7.2 of the User Manual: BDM vs PD-BDM), that does not support some advanced FreeMASTER functionalities, but considering that you may be new to the tool I won't insist on them. In case you run into the need to use some of those features we can discuss it separately.

0 Kudos
saranya_chitta
Contributor III

Thanks @iulian_stan 

The problem is when I click "Configure", I'm not seeing the window  (P&E JTAG/BDM Communication v3.29.1) you've mentioned. That's what I was talking about in the question I posted too. 

When I click "Configure", I'm seeing the error pop up that says "Could not instantiate communication plugin object" and I've attached a screenshot of the error as well to my previous post.

I got FreeMaster 3.0 reinstalled now (I don't have FreeMASTER Lite, I unchecked it during the installation process) and I also have FreeMASTER serial communication driver V2.0

Can you tell me what plugin I might be missing and why am I seeing that error? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry, I misread that part.

Can you try running the "register.bat". This file registers plugin libraries. It is is located inside FreeMASTER installation folder and should be run with admin privileges. Let me know if you can access the configuration after running this script.

Btw, FreeMASTER serial communication driver V2.0 is a library required by the embedded applications to enable advanced FreeMASTER features on the target side, thus does not affect the host (PC) side.

saranya_chitta
Contributor III

Thank you, @iulian_stan 

Running the "register.bat" helped solve the issue.

Verified using S32K144 EVB with GPIO example and it's all good now.

Thank you once again!

0 Kudos