Communication Driver

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication Driver

Communication Driver

This article will focus on the embedded side of the FreeMASTER tool - the communication driver. It is a lightweight library that implements FreeMASTER communication protocol and enables FreeMASTER features in the application running on the target device. Currently there are three sources you can get it from:

• Driver Package
  • MCUXpresso SDK
  • S32 Design Studio SDK

The following sections will guide you through each separate approach.

Driver Package

This package includes the implementation of FreeMASTER protocol versions 2 and 3.

Refer to MCUXpresso SDK section for a driver which implements the latest protocol version 4.

PC tools, FreeMASTER 3.0 and FreeMASTER Lite, are backward compatible and work with all protocol versions.

Self-extracting installation package is available on FreeMASTER download page under BSP, Drivers and Middleware section. After installation it will create a folder (default path - C:\NXP\FreeMASTER_Serial_Communication_Driver_V2.0) on your system with the following content:

driver folder.png

You can start with ready to use projects from examples\SCI_driver_examples folder:

examples folder.png

Each example contains a readme file specifying environment requirements (target board and used IDE). To start a new project you would require to add just two folders to your project src_common containing generic protocol implementation and platform specific sources from src_platform. The latter has a similar layout to the examples (with a per platform sub-folder).

Refer to documentation (doc folder) for further library configuration.

MCUXpresso SDK

Currently, only MCUXpresso SDK includes latest version of FreeMASTER Communication Driver which implements the communication protocol v4.

Latest implementation of the FreeMASTER Communication Protocol (v4.0) was integrated into MCUXpresso SDK. In case you don't have the IDE you can get it from MCUXpresso IDE download page. If have it already installed proceed to SDK builder.

mcuxpresso.png

Navigate to Development Board Selection, choose a Board/Kit/Processor and build the SDK.

sdk builder.png

Once the build is ready make sure that FreeMASTER Component is included.

sdk component.PNGsdk freemaster.png

Save your changes and download the SDK. You can import the it from MCUXpresso IDE QuickStart Panel :

mcuxpresso ide.png

In case it is not visible you can add it to your view from: Window → Show View → Quickstart Panel.

Check this video on how you can import SDK into MCUXpresso IDE:

Now you can start a new project and add FreeMASTER middle-ware component

or import FreeMASTER example from SDK

S32 Design Studio SDK

S32 Design Studio includes FreeMASTER Communication Driver v2.0 out of the box - no additional installation required. 

Refer to this article for FreeMASTER Driver usage with S32 Design Studio.

Attachments
Comments

Do the FreeMASTER Communication Protocol (v4.0) support S12Z platform? 

Hello, yes we have a test application for S12Z which supports the new protocol over SCI and CAN. I have attached the ZIP file to the document above. The build projects are in the /boards/s12zvmx128evb/fmstr_can and fmstr_uart directories.

Hello Michal, 

I am very glad that the S12Z is still in the support list of protocol V4.0. Otherwise, it would be difficult for the users of S12Z to try the new features of FreeMaster.

I will try it in the coming days.

Thanks very much.

Do the FreeMASTER Communication Protocol (v4.0) support PowerPC platform (MPC57xx)?

Dear Daniel,

we have some test/example code for Serial communication only so far. No CAN support yet.. It is not an official release. I or some of my colleagues should be able to share the code here during the next week.

Does the FreeMASTER Communication Protocol v4.0 support 56F8xx platform? 

Dear Viktor,

we are currently working on a driver which is going to support the 56F83789 (and the DSC family in general). The official version is going to be part of the planned MCUXpresso SDK release targeting 56F83789 - it is going to support Serial, CAN and even the direct USB interfaces (JTAG/EOnCE to come later). The same driver will be also be available for the DSC Quick Start and will use bare register access - that one should be easily portable to custom  frameworks.

Prototype already exists. Please reach out to me if you are interested to evaluate one.

Thanks,

Michal

No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎01-27-2021 12:34 AM
Updated by: