DSC Flasher problems with USBTAP Rev 7, Windows XP, and MC56F8367

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSC Flasher problems with USBTAP Rev 7, Windows XP, and MC56F8367

FTSolutions
Contributor III

I guess I had in appropriately hopped onto an announcement thread on the DSC flasher, so that probably meant none of the solutions experts noticed it.  I will re-ask here in itw own thread - my apologies for

any breach of etiquette:

I seem to be having issues trying to get this to work on the (2) Windows XP machines I have tried so far.

In both cases, I am using the same USBTAP Rev F, and trying to program some 56F8367 DSC devices.

In one case, I also have Codewarrior 8.3 installed on the machine and regularly use it for development.   The USBTAP works fine with it and I am using CCS Version 4.13 build 363p0.

But, without CW or an instance of CCS running and simply trying to use the DSC Flasher to erase and program some DSCs, it will fail to do so with the following appearing in the console window:

Performing PROGRAM operation on MC56F8367 through the UTAP...

Error 9: CC config string is invalid

Make Sure your Device is Plugged-In and No Other Devices are Configured to the Run Control Device. Close all CCS Applications Prior to Flashing Target Device.

Changing the JTAG clock speed to various values as low as 100KHz has no effect.  CCS Timeout is still at 10 seconds.

On the other XP machine (which I am trying to configure for actual production usage) there has never been any CodeWarrior software installed.   I downloaded and installed the DSC flasher and the CCS USBTAP drivers according to the documentation.  The CCS version actually appears to be the same revision and build that is on the other XP machine.

Attempts to program several different DSC 56F8367 devices all result in the same error messages and failure on this machine - the console log shows:

Performing PROGRAM operation on MC56F8367 through the UTAP...

Error 9: Core not responding

Check that the Target Device Model Number Matches "MC56F8367"

If Model Numbers Match, Then UnPlug and Replug the Device

It doesn't matter if I cycle power to the target device, unplug/replug the USBTAP connector, or unplug/replug the USBTAP itself - any other attempts result in the same outcome. It won't work.  It will (apparently) Mass erase the DSC OK, but always fails as soon as it starts to write to program flash.   The results are identical if I use the command line interface or the GUI interface.

I know that the S-record file is good, the target hardware is good, and the USBTAP is good because I can use my CodeWarrior 8.3 to debug, program, erase, etc. all of these target PCBs.   But, my intent is to use the DSC flasher for production programming use - and it appears to have problems.

Any assistance you can provide is much appreciated!

Mike F

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
7 Replies

FTSolutions
Contributor III

A status update that i will include here for posterity -

Freescale tech support finally responded to my query on the tech service request and they are still working on the problem, with no known date by which it may be fixed in the new (DSC Flasher v1.0) utility.   They have recommended that I go back to using the older 56800E Flash programmer v1.2 from 2009 for the time being.   It works and appears to be stable/functional.  It does not require Codewarrior to be installed on the PC and can be downloaded from this page:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=56F801X&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

(the download link is under the page section

Hardware Development Tools-> Programmer. Please download the one as below, it does not need CodeWarrior to be installed.
-------------------------------------------------------------
56800/E Flash Programmer : Release date: 11/11/2009 SizeK: 9,738Kb Rev#: 1.2 Size (K): 9737 Format: exe Rev #: 1.2 Modified: 11/11/2009
-------------------------------------------------------------

Also, if you intend to run this on a Windows 7 (or later?) OS, you must have the later CCS build 363p0

installation/files to replace the ones in the CCS subfolder under the 56800E Flash Programmer v1.2 directory. 

After the installation, please use the your CCS build 363p0 to replace the CCS folder in 56800E Flash Programmer if you use it on Windows 7.  A link to this CCS installation zip will be added to this thread here:

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-93785

Hopefully this thread may be helpful to others - if I learn more about DSC Flasher software updates I will try to update this thread with the news.

Ben
Senior Contributor I

I checked about the old programming SW, it calls "56800E flash programmer". It worked good for production use (programming and securing the device).

I just opened that program and checked it's setup options, it support the 56836x.

Ben

0 Kudos

FTSolutions
Contributor III

Thanks Ben -

I've downloaded the old version and may use that - I *think* that it actually requires you to install at least the eval CodeWarrior on the PC too?   I've got it on my development PC of course, but may have to load it on the production PC if that is the case.

Also, I've opened a technical service request on this topic and will report back here whatever I learn from the tech support team.

0 Kudos

Ben
Senior Contributor I

works as stand alone application. Does not need the full CW app

The USBTAP has old and new drivers. I assume that it works with the old drivers, which means that if you'll install the new eclipse

CW system it will destroy the old drivers and the programmer will stop working, so it is better to install it on another computer.

0 Kudos

FTSolutions
Contributor III

Well it might not need CW IDE to run, but it does depend on CCS, and even though I found an ancient ZIP of a CCS installation, it didn't have any of the processor-specific flash cfg files.   I think that these only get installed/come with the Codewarrior software now (even the eval version will do).   So, while I can copy some files over from my development PC, I have to write up instructions for the IT people to be able to reproduce the setup, and it looks like it is going to have to include installation of demo/eval codewarrior just to get a CCS and set of .cfg files.

Wish the stand along DSC flasher application would actually work on this hardware - maybe I will try copying more .cfg files around as it appears to be using the same version of CCS as my CW 8.3 install...

My fear is that the actually made the NEW USBTAP (which has externally detachable interface ribbon cable like it should have had all along) software incompatible with the older drivers - or else they may have made the DSC flasher tool only to work with the new USBTAP - either one is  a possibility. Unfortunately.  IF I hear anything from the tech team I'll post it here.

0 Kudos

Ben
Senior Contributor I

Mike, I am using the same USBTAP unit, and I can not use the flasher program with it. I am doing it via CW IDE. I remember that we used this USBTAP unit with the old stand-alone programmer, and it worked good.

It looks that you are not alone:smileyhappy:

We have here PEmicro unit too. I'll look for it and check if it works with the flasher program. Will update you.

0 Kudos

FTSolutions
Contributor III

Oops - sorry, that should be USBTAP Rev "F", not '7'... it is the black plastic cased ONCE USBTAP for the 56F8xxx processors..

0 Kudos