cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi for MCF5223x

RValls
Contributor III

Hi everyone!

I am using the MCF52233 for my developement projects to achieve an ethernet conection. Now I have been asked to add WiFi connectivity (802.11 b/g at least, maybe also n). The problem is that searching the Internet, I have only found modules that convert the WiFi signal to serial (usually SPI and UART), which manage all the TCP/IP stack and so.

I was wondering if there is any solution which actually uses the Ethernet capability of the device, so the changes to the MCU firmware would be minimum. I have only found the MAX2830 transceiver, but in the reference designs it is not clear how it may be used. Somebody has tried something similar?

Also, if there is a solution like this, is the MCF52233 capable of managing two interfaces? In this case, both WiFi and wired connection. If so, how?

Best regards,

Ruben

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

TomLEE
Contributor III

Hello Ruben,

Take a look at NETGEAR WNCE2001. It's an Universal WiFi Internet Adapter.

Perhaps, it works fine with your application.

Which ethernet stack are you using ?

Try FNET (Freescale NET, dowload it here: http://fnet.sourceforge.net) and ask to Andrey if he didn't try before to plug a wifi ethernet adapter (link discussion with Andrey: https://community.freescale.com/thread/57196?start=60&tstart=0) ?...

Regards,

Thomas.

PaoloRenzo
Contributor V

You may want to give a look here:

Tower System Wi-Fi Peripheral Modules</title> <meta name="Keywords" content=&quot...

This is part of the TWR system, very popular system to start your tests

Sad thing here is the mcf5223x is not a supported board for TWR system, but as a proof of concept you may want to explore the mcf52259, or design your own board.

As I see here, here are the steps you  may want explore:

1) Download latest MQX version

2) Download MQX patch for your favorite WiFi module above

3) Currently as far as I know there's no support for mcf5223x, so you will need to change the WiFi BSP for your respective platform: ColdFire (currently mcf52259 available as a starting point), SPI being used, compiler specifics, etc

4) Build the HW system and test.

FYI, the IC included in the WiFi modules don't handle the TCP/IP stack for you. Only helps you with the lower WiFi 802.11 encapsulation. For example, for us the TCP/IP layer is handled by the RTCS from MQX. Finally all the frames are bypassed to SPI instead of MAC controller by software.

Hope this helps

RValls
Contributor III

Thank you for the information.

I suppose that there are no devices that can use the ethernet connection of the MCF52233 for WIFI purposes, so I have to resign to use the SPI connection.

I will take a look to them.

Best regards,

Ruben

0 Kudos