USB Coldfire Multilink crashing Windows XP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Coldfire Multilink crashing Windows XP

Kremer
Contributor I
 Any of you had your operational system (Windows XP) corrupted and had to format and reinstall it because of BDM´s bad functioning?
 It seems i had this problem 2 weeks ago. My laptop had only the BDM USB attached to it, no ethernet cable, no serial, no nothing. CW 6.3 for coldfire was opened and i had just stopped a debug session. Then i went to my desktop to check my mails and, after some minutes, suddenly the blue windows screen showed up on my laptop´s screen (first time on my laptop). A strange error message on screen was informing that the system was corrupted because of a bad functioning device. As BDM was the only device attached i presume it was the cause. After rebooting, windows could not start again, so i had to do a boot through my linux installer CD and backup all my important files and projects to my desktop before execute the recovery CD to format it and reinstal the windows XP home.

--
Alban Edit: FSL Part Number in Subject line + split/moved to appropriate location.
New question = New thread.

Message Edited by Alban on 2007-06-27 03:04 AM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

Your computer has many devices, even if only one of them is plugged on one external USB port.
For instance, my laptop has a parallel port, serial port, graphic card, internal smart card reader, sound card...

All of these are devices in Microsoft Windows term as they are in the long list of devices in the hardware management.

Next time something like this happened, we/you need to get the dump generated in the same time as the BSoD (Blue Screen of Death). That file will give information on which module (DLL...) or hardware created a fault.

You also didn't say what were the symptoms of "not rebooting". If there was nothing happening at all, that could be a hard drive crash, if it is just because it was looking for a driver it never found, that is another story.

Also, overheating (eg. from overclocking or bad ventilation) and RAM corruption is likely to create the BSoD.

Even if it does not help for what already happened, the information you provide in the future is the only way for P&E Microsystems to see if there is really a problem with their cable or if it is another hidden feature of the OS.

Best Regards,
Alban.
0 Kudos

Kremer
Contributor I
 Right Alban. Well, at least the HD wasn´t the faulty device, because i could do a boot using a Linux CD and the file system were alright and i could backup all my projects and important files before execute the recovery CD to format the HD and reinstall the Windows XP.
 I´m not blaming the BDM hardware, but asking if someone else had a similar problem when using Codewarrior and USB BDM on laptops. Perhaps, could be the BDM the one who caused. I don´t know.

Thank you
0 Kudos

mccPaul
Contributor I
Hi

I've used USB and parallel PEMicro BDMs on three different laptops, all with XP and I have never had a similar problem. In fact, the only times I have seen a blue screen in the last couple of years has been on PCs that have failed motherboards or CPU fans.

I use the CodeSourcery GCC toolchain with their BDM sprite, but I doubt that CodeWarrior is the source of your problem.

Cheers,

Paul.
0 Kudos