cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwelmed by choice

loris
Contributor I
hi
I'm a current 68332 user needing a more powerful processor and am trying to choose a coldfire for my next project. Can you offers suggestions for a popular, current chip?
I've read AN2866 which makes the MCF523x sound good, but it's a 2004 document and things may have moved on?
I don't think I need better performance that the144MIPS quoted for the MCF523x and the ethernet is a plus.
I want something that hasn't got bus speeds that are too difficult to handle but although I'm going to need external devices, a chip with on-board RAM and flash must make hardware design easier.
A chip supported by an EVB offering a Linux BSP would be a bonus.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

RickN
Contributor I
Hi Loris,

Are you using the TPU on the MC68332?  If you are, then you have found a great replacement part in the MCF523x family of MPUs.  There is also a full featured evaluation board available (EVB) for this MPU, in addition to limited feature business card computer (BCC).

The MCF523x does not have a memory management unit (MMU) so it would need to run uCLinux, but I did not find a uCLinux BSP for the MCF523x.  There are some very good RTOS options for this board including uCOS-II from Micrium. 

What is your application?  If you don't need the eTPU, then you have a number of other choices.  The MCF523x family is the only ColdFire MPU with the eTPU available right now.

Thanks,

Rick
0 Kudos

loris
Contributor I
Is the MCF523x a recent and popular set of chips? The web site suggests that everythings 'active', but I want to try to choose a chip that is available / easy to get for a longish timescale.
0 Kudos

RickN
Contributor I
Hi,

Yes, the MCF523x family has been out for a couple of years and will be around for a long time to come.

There is a uCLinux port for it on www.uclinux.org.

Thanks,

Rick
0 Kudos