cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

josh_outerspace
Contributor I
I found a 68000 in a large DIP package. How can I get this thing running? Its the old 8MHz type.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Jaux
Contributor I
Is there any way I can get you to part with that chip?

I have been involved with Motorola/Freescale for the past 25 years, and I have very fond memories of the 68000, and as such I would dearly like to have one to make a little monento off.

BR,

John Ulyate
julyate@openmrt.co.za
+27(82)551-9285
0 Kudos

josh_outerspace
Contributor I
Yes, I have two different ones.  One is black and the other is tan and has a square thing in the middle.  Both have never been used.
0 Kudos

Jaux
Contributor I
Amazing - I will take both - let me know how I can pursuade you...

The black one is the plastic package, and the pink one with the gold square is the cyramic packaging. ( getting a little misty in the eye there)

Although they were state-of-the-art 20 years ago, they are actually quite useless compared to the stuff we can get these days.

BR

John
0 Kudos

JamesPev
Contributor I
You should trade him some more modern uC's that he can actually use :smileyhappy:

James
0 Kudos

Jaux
Contributor I
Have already done so - sent him a 9S08AW60 and a NE64 development kit - we have to teach the kids well
0 Kudos

Nouchi
Senior Contributor II
Hi,

It's probably the original MC68000 in 64 pin large DIP package, to makes run this part you need:
8Mhz clock generator, RAM, ROM or Flash, some glue device (PAL, EPLD..) to do address decoding and DTACK, IACK generation, but you probably need extra devices such as UART (MC68691 or MC68692 for dual), or multi function such MC68981 (UART + timer + I/O) and you also need I/O ports with PIA MC6821 (working in 8bits synchronous 6800 mode), or you can do this with PAL/EPLD/FPGA, and to debug this, you need a good ROM monitor with serial link, or a M68K emulator such as HP64000.

Emmanuel
0 Kudos