Question about building a customized u-boot for the t1042d4rdb board?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about building a customized u-boot for the t1042d4rdb board?

jason96
Contributor I

I want to make some modifications to uboot for a project I'm working on. But I keep running into errors when trying to build. To test bitbake, I ran a normal bitbake fsl-image-minimal. It worked the first time. So then I modified the recipe file u-boot-qoriq_2016.01.bb. I am trying to direct the bitbake to use my github instead so it uses my modified uboot. Here are the 2 cases I'm dealing with:

Case 1: I try to make SRC_URI the ssh line. I get the error:

ERROR: ExpansionError during parsing /opt/QorIQ-SDK-V2.0-20160527-yocto/sources/meta-freescale/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-qoriq_2016.01.bb: Failure expanding variable do_fetch[file-checksums], expression was ${@bb.fetch.get_checksum_file_list(d)} ${@get_lic_checksum_file_list(d)} which triggered exception MalformedUrl: The URL: 'git@github**********/u-boot.git;branch=master' is invalid and cannot be interpreted

Case 2: I make my repository public, and use the https line for SRC_URI. bitbake clear works now, but with fsl-minial I get the error:

ERROR: oe_runmake failed
ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /opt/QorIQ-SDK-V2.0-20160527-yocto/build_t1042d4rdb/tmp/work/t1042d4rdb-fsl-linux/u-boot-qoriq/2016.01+fslgit-r0/temp/log.do_compile.29973)
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /opt/QorIQ-SDK-V2.0-20160527-yocto/build_t1042d4rdb/tmp/work/t1042d4rdb-fsl-linux/u-boot-qoriq/2016.01+fslgit-r0/temp/log.do_compile.29973

Note: I set up a public key with github for this.

When these didn't work I reverted the file to when it did work. But NOW it says the SRCREV or commit id doesn't exist. I've tried deleting the board_t1042d4rdb folder to fix this but no luck.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

yusufalti333
Contributor IV

Another option is, after cleaning u-boot and fsl-image-*** using cleansstate command,

bitbake -c cleansstate u-boot

bitbake -c cleanssate fsl-image-***

1-) bitbake u-boot -c patch

2-) go to folder build_t1040d4rdb/tmp/work/t1040d4rdb-fsl-linux/u-boot-qoriq/2016.09+fslgit-r0/git

3-) copy source code to somewhere else to keep original source code

4-) then again in build_t1040d4rdb/tmp/work/t1040d4rdb-fsl-linux/u-boot-qoriq/2016.09+fslgit-r0/git folder, make your changes

5-) then write a patch for your changes using diff -u -r ORIGINAL_SOURCE_CODE_FOLDER MODIFIED_SOURCE_CODE_FOLDER > my_changes.patch

6-) then add this my_changes.patch file to your bitbake(.bb) file about U-boot which is under sources/meta-freescale/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-qoriq.****.bb or .bbappend

7-) The .patch file you created should be in sources/meta-freescale/recipes-bsp/u-boot/files folder

you can add this patch using SRC_URI = "<URL OF U-BOOT> / file://my_changes.patch". <URL OF U-BOOT> should already be written before. You only add this patch file on it.

Example SRC_URI:

SRC_URI = "git://git.freescale.com/ppc/sdk/u-boot.git;branch=${SRCBRANCH} \
file://my_changes.patch

Then again each time when you cleanssate u-boot and repatch it, all the changes should be made by default.

0 Kudos

jason96
Contributor I

Still no clue about the first case i mentioned but for case 2, I was able to get a build by running "make mrproper" in the main uboot directory and updating my github to reflect that. It cleaned up files that were causing problems. For the first build I ran it in "/opt/QorIQ-SDK-V2.0-20160527-yocto/build_t1042d4rdb/tmp/work/t1042d4rdb-fsl-linux/u-boot-qoriq/2016.01+fslgit-r0/git"

It's still strange though that this only works when I make my repository public. When its private, it says error cannot find the key in /home/myuser/.ssh/id_rsa.pub.  When it should be looking in /home/jason/.ssh.

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jason Dejesus,

Please refer to the following procedure to modify u-boot source code.

1. bitbake u-boot -c patch -f

2. Please go to folder build_t1040d4rdb/tmp/work/t1040d4rdb-fsl-linux/u-boot-qoriq/2016.09+fslgit-r0/git to modify u-boot source code.

3. bitbake u-boot -c compile -f

4. Please go to step 2 to modify u-boot again.

5. bitbake u-boot

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jason96
Contributor I

Ok I guess I can do that too. Another question I have though, when I try to run bitbake fsl-image-minimal, it worked the first time, but every other time after it fails. I get the message: Not I run bitbake -c cleanall u-boot,  before every new build.

WARNING: Failed to fetch URL git://git.freescale.com/ppc/sdk/u-boot.git;branch=sdk-v2.0.x, attempting MIRRORS if available
ERROR: Fetcher failure: Unable to find revision a9b437f50e2051f8d42ec9e1a6df52de4bc00e1e in branch sdk-v2.0.x even from upstream
ERROR: Function failed: Fetcher failure for URL: 'git://git.freescale.com/ppc/sdk/u-boot.git;branch=sdk-v2.0.x'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /opt/QorIQ-SDK-V2.0-20160527-yocto/build_t1042d4rdb/tmp/work/t1042d4rdb-fsl-linux/u-boot-qoriq/2016.01+fslgit-r0/temp/log.do_fetch.916
ERROR: Task 65 (/opt/QorIQ-SDK-V2.0-20160527-yocto/sources/meta-freescale/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-qoriq_2016.01.bb, do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jason Dejesus,

Please install both SOURCE and Cache ISO QorIQ-SDK-V2.0-SOURCE-20160527-yocto.iso and QorIQ-SDK-V2.0-PPCE5500-CACHE-20160527-yocto.iso.

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos