How to debug without a file?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to debug without a file?

andywell
Contributor I
Software: codewarrior IDE; debugger: USBTAP; target board PPC: 8250; there is no elf files and source code files, How to run the operating system on the target board for real-time debugging? Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

andywell
Contributor I
Thank you, I have to try.
0 Kudos

andywell
Contributor I
I just want to know whether we can use CW-IDE and USBTAP to debug a running program in the target board,without a file(like elf)
0 Kudos

ronco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can debug a program running on your MPC8250 board without a pre-built .elf file but you will need a CodeWarrior project -- all CodeWarrior debugger operations require an open project.  Try this: select File->New->EPPC New Project Wizard and walk through the menus to create an MPC8250 project.  Doesn't matter what the code is, you're only creating a place-holder project.  When your project is created select, from the IDE's top tool-bar, Debug->Connect.  This will start a debug session to your board, resetting it and initializing it with the standard MPC8250 eval board configuration.  The debugger should come up pointing at the RESET vector.  Assuming you see valid code, click "Run".  Now you have run-control of your board running its own code out of flash.

If you want to take over a board that's already running then use the Debug->Attach to Process option.  For that you will need to build the code in your place-holder project but you can ignore it and just use the Disassembly view in the debugger.  I hope this helps.

Ron

0 Kudos

tkvenki
Contributor III

Depends if your Target is ROM/RAM.

1. If the target is ROM you will need to create a s-Record file and then program it into Flash.

Then you can debug the program.

2. If the target is RAM(SRAM/SDRAM) , then there is no need to create a S-record file.  The IDE will manage to place the debug information in the start-up location.

Message Edited by tkvenki on 2009-10-15 05:33 AM
0 Kudos

tkvenki
Contributor III

Hi andywell,

Your question does not seem to be very clear.....

But few points  may help....

1. If you go through the debugger panel,

you can find an option to specify the S-record file, you want to Flash.

2. If you need RTOS information in debugger you need a plugin of that RTOS....Like..if you are using

Threadx(the rtos which I use..)......contact threadx guys and ask them, if they have a plugin for

CW?

You can install the plugin to get rtos info....

3. In CW-IDE, you have a Flash programmer, which you culd use to write the code/boot.....

What is the RTOS you are using?

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Venki

0 Kudos