Codewarrior for Coldfire 7.1 - what's new

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codewarrior for Coldfire 7.1 - what's new

whw
Contributor I
I have already installed the 7.0 version.

How do I decide whether to 'upgrade' to the 7.1 version?

More generally, when a new version appears, where do I get the list of new features and bug-fixes over the previous version. Generally, one would want to see what one is getting in the new version before deciding to upgrade as upgrading is very often quite painful and to be avoided unless there are clear benefits.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II
As far as I am concerned, the single biggest feature of 7.1 is that the flash programmer seems to work consistently for me -- with 7.0, I had to restart CW after every few flash programs (see: http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CFCOMM&thread.id=4751).  So this is huge.  On one downside, 7.1 seems to have a new codegen bug (see: http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CWCFCOMM&thread.id=2239), but you can easily work around that by not selecting the one "bad combination" of compiler options.

If it helps, I have attached what appear to be the 7.1 release notes.  Overall, I'm *thrilled* with 7.1, for the one reason above.  (Note that some people don't hit the flash programmer bug with 7.0 and some do -- I was one of the unlucky ones.)

-- Rich
0 Kudos

jreyes085
Contributor I
Im just starting my project, im new in the freescale family. I bought the DEMOQE128 evaluation board, it came with codewarrior 5.9, does it comes with too much bugs and problems? is it a better option to install codewarrior 7.1? What do you think?

Thanks again, i wrote you in another thread...Thanks

Message Edited by jreyes085 on 2008-10-29 08:35 PM
0 Kudos

ZiglioNZ
Contributor I
Hi,

if you see 5.9 in the Help>About window, apparently that's not the version of CodeWarrior

To see the version of each installed component, from there click on 'Installed Products'
0 Kudos

jreyes085
Contributor I
You were right, but what do you think about installing a new CodeWarrior? the version that i have installed is t good or not?

Thanks!
0 Kudos

ZiglioNZ
Contributor I
Are you working on your own?
In that case, I would look at the release notes of each version and see if a bug that affects you (out of the many) has been fixed or a feature that might be useful to you has been added.

In the case of release 7.1.1 for Coldfire, they've added some support for 52x CPUs.
Since it doesn't affect me, I won't bother upgrading right now.
0 Kudos

jreyes085
Contributor I
thanks, i would do that! and yes, im working by my own...

thanks again! I appreciate your help...
0 Kudos

stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi jreyes085,

According to your description you are obviously using CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers v6.0 which in fact supports 8-bit MCUs (HCS08,RS08,HC08) plus ColdFire  CFv1 MCUS (Flexis).
The CodeWarrior for CodlFire supports all the rest CF cores (CFv2,CFv3....)
So it doesn't make sense to install CW for ColdFire v7.1.

I'd suggest you consider the installation of CW for MCUs v6.2 + update v6.2.1. this is currently (30-Oct-08) recent release.

Attached are the release notes that describes new features and fixed defects.

Stanish
0 Kudos

jreyes085
Contributor I
Im going to do that, im going to install that version. I want to avoid futures headaches caused by a problem with de CodeWarrior...

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos

RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II
And actually, it looks like that first file was just the release notes teaser... :-)  I believe these are the real things.
0 Kudos