cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Codewarrior with IMX8

venkataraob
Contributor I

Hi,

We are working with a partner who is making multi-core ASIC with one core being Cortex-M4. Other core is Coldfire V2 core. Before ASIC is available we want to use IMX8 board for the initial development.

We decided to use Codewarrior tool for the ASIC.  But Codewarrior tool doesn't have support for IMX8 family of processors but it supports Kinetis that has ARM Cortex-M4 core. How to enable Codewarrior to work with IMX8  for running code and debugging on Cortex-M4 core? 

Looking forward for your help

Regards,

Venkat

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

venkataraob
Contributor I

Hi Diego, 

Thanks for the update. I found that MCUExpresso IDE doesn't support IMX8. As you suggested to use the SDK, which IDE can be used with this SDK?

Also which Debugger and IDE combination can be used to debug IMX8? 

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I apologize for the delay.

The IDEs that our i.MX that has an M4 cortex could support are IAR and GCC ARM embedded. 

The debugger that we recommend is J-Link, since we already provide a patch to make work the SDK in our i.MX8 boards.

https://www.nxp.com/design/i.mx-developer-resources/i.mx-software-and-development-tool:IMX-SW

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Unfortunately, CodeWarrior only supports our microcontrollers. There is no direct support for using the ARM cortex, and there is no direct support of the cortex M4 in CodeWarrior or even support of the i.MX8M. What I suggested you use the SDK, is because we do have an example of how to initialize the core and it will be easier for you to use the M4 cortex. Otherwise, we cannot support another IDE different from IAR and GCC ARM embedded. 

Furthermore, the CodeWarrior version that supports Coldfire does not have support for the ARM cortex. What can you do is migrate to the latest CodeWarrior version and migrate your whole project. However, we cannot support this, and we cannot guarantee if this will work. You can go with professional service support, probably the could help you. I apologize for the inconveniences this could give you.

Best regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos