How can I emulate CW 'burn-image' operation from a command line?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I emulate CW 'burn-image' operation from a command line?

barakmanos
Contributor III

Hi.

I believe that the way to do it is via the Burner.exe utility which comes along with CW.

But I have not been able to make any use of it, as it keeps telling me:

ERROR B1000: Could not open 'input file' 'MyFile.abs'.

Does anybody know how to resolve this problem?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Barak,

do you want to use burner.exe to program flash?

The burner.exe can not be used to flash the application. The burner tool must be used to create the S record file.

if you want to program flash in command line with CW10, I suggest you refer this article:

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/08/03/codewarrior-flash-programming-from-a-dos-shell/

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

barakmanos
Contributor III

Oh, Erich Styger's blog... My favorite :smileyhappy:

Unfortunately, I have already read this one a long time ago.

This method doesn't have any real advantage over running the Flash-Programming task (i.e., the TCL file) directly from CW.

It merely launches CW, then executes the task, and then closes CW.

Opening and closing CW for every task only yields a runtime overhead.

I may as well open CW once, and executes all my tasks directly from there.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

both "Flash to target" and task need to have a dummy project overhead. otherwise, I think it can not work.

you mentioned "Opening and closing CW for every task only yields a runtime overhead." what does it mean?

burner.exe can only generate burning file. it can't be used to burn flash. attached video is to convert .abs file to .s19 with burner.exe commandline mode. Hope this helps!

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

barakmanos
Contributor III

"Opening and closing CW for every task only yields a runtime overhead."

This means that I might as well keep CW opened, and run the task directly from there (by clicking the Play button).

Otherwise, opening and closing CW some additional 10 seconds per session.

With regards to the Burner.exe utility - I was indeed hoping that I could use it in order to burn image to flash.

I already have a script for rebuilding my entire project (which includes generating the s19 file).

Thanks.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

both "Flash to target" and task programming need have CW and a dummy project opened. CW is not a professional programming tool, this is the way of how they work.

unfortunately Burner.exe utility is not a tool for programming as i replied in my previous response. For more about burner.exe, see

http://www.nxp.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/user_guide/BURNERUG.pdf

Hope this helps!

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Barak

Could you supply the CodeWarrior version you are using?  To get it, please:

1)Start the IDE and click on Help | About Freescale(Metrowerks) CodeWarrior.

2)Click on Installed Products

3)Provide us all info displayed. Or you can save them in a txt file.

And what is the part number of your MCU?

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

TIC - Technical Information Center

0 Kudos

barakmanos
Contributor III

Hi Kuang

Thank you for your quick response.

I am using CodeWarrior Development Studio, Version 10.6, Build Id 140329:

cw_details.png

And I am using MC13234 (registers SDIDH/SDIDL = 0x2044).

0 Kudos