FreeMASTER: How to begin?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FreeMASTER: How to begin?

sebasira
Senior Contributor I

Hello everybody... I've just read about freeMASTER and I find it could be very powerfull.

But I haven't found any guide, tutorial or quick start... I've downloaded both the driver and the application. Now, how can I "debug" my application with it?

I've got 2 projects:

- HCS12 with CW v4.6

- MCF51QE with  CW v6.1

When the driver are installed, some project examples are in the installation directorie. I gave them a quick look, but still I think it would be great if there some sort of guide...

I can se from the project tree that some files are under a freeMASTER folder, are all of them neccesary? I mean, I don't use CAN and for example I don't want oscilloscope function so maybe those files are not needed... And what about freeMASTER_config.h?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

SebaS

Labels (1)
5 Replies

jánčavojský
Contributor I

Hi everybody

Please, help my. I want some project for kinetis k40x256, with communication freemaster through USB. I want project with source code in code warrior.

Thanks for answer.

0 Kudos

JardaP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Jan,

The FreeMASTER tool cannot communicate over USB directly. You can add USB CDC class into your project and integrate it with the FreeMASTER serial driver. This integration is available in FreeMASTER serial driver for K60 tower board.

The installer of FreeMASTER serial driver is available here http://www.freescale.com/freemaster in download section.

The USB CDC class is used from Medical USB stack http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MEDICALUSB .

I hope that next release of FreeMASTER serial driver includes also the USB CDC support for K40 boards.

Best Regards,

Jaroslav

0 Kudos

akawxt
Contributor I

hi Jaroslav!

I am a newer in FreeMaster(version:2.0),I have a problem:how can i connect my MC9S12XEP100 with the FreeMaster correctly by TBDML!this is my TBDML ,see the picture :

2017-10-02_215311.png

this is my settings in freemaster:

2017-10-02_215502.png

0 Kudos

JardaP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Sebas,
The simplest way, how to try the FreeMASTER is to load example application of serial driver to board, connect board to PC by serial cable and open FreeMASTER example project.

This way is not good way for you and you have to include the FreeMASTER serial driver to your application instead.

It seems that you installed the FreeMASTER serial driver.
You can integrate the FreeMASTER serial driver to you project by adding all files from {FMSTR path}\src_common\
and platform dependent files in src_platforms\HC12\ or src_platforms\MCF51xx\.
You can add all files even when you will not use all features. To reduce flash and ram size you can disable unused function in freemaster_cfg.h file.

In freemaster_cfg.h you have to define base address of SCI module and isr vector.
In your application you have to initialize SCI module to desired communication baudrate.

Call in your application FMSTR_Init() after SCI initialization.
Call FMSTR_Poll() function in your main loop - this handles all FreeMASTER communication.

After that you can configure the FreeMASTER tool.
- set up communication interface and baudrate in Project->Option->Comm
- set path to elf file of your application in Project->Option->Map Files
See more in user manual page 32.

To start FreeMASTER communication with the board, press the red STOP button in tool bar.
More details, how to add variable are in User Manual, chapter 4.2

CodeWarrior 10.3 also supports Processor Expert component for FreeMASTER on S08, CFV1/2/3/4, DSC and Kinetis platforms. This component helps you to load FreeMASTER source code, configure communication interface (SCI/MSCAN/FlexCAN/JTAG/Packet Driven BDM) and configure FreeMASTER serial driver.

Best Regards
Jaroslav

sebasira
Senior Contributor I

Thank you Jaroslav!

I'm going to try it now. And I'd let you know how it come up.

Best Regards!

SebaS