What file to use to flash MC56F83763 using PE Micro's Multilink Universal FX?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What file to use to flash MC56F83763 using PE Micro's Multilink Universal FX?

fasihahmed
Contributor IV

Hey,

I have a sample project for MC56F83763. Which of the compiled file I can use to flash directly to my DSC via JTAG without using bootloader?

Or do I need to create an S-Record format? If yes, then how.

fasihahmed_0-1603440088223.png

@xiangjun_rong @mariuslucianand  @Robin_Shen @ZhangJennie 

0 Kudos
10 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Fasih,

You can use CW tools to download the *.elf to on-chip flash via JTAG port with the Multilink Universal FX device.

The MC56F83xxx has flashloader code in on-chip ROM, you can use blhost tools to download the *.elf.p.s to on-chip flash in bootloader mode with SCI0 port.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

fasihahmed
Contributor IV

Hey,

is there a guide to do that? 

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Fasih,

Pls download the CW for mcu ver11.x from the link:

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/codewarrior-development-tools/codewarrior-l...

You can use the CW tools to download code and debug via Multilink Universal device.

Regarding the question how to download application code to flash via bootloader, pls refer to the attached doc.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

fasihahmed
Contributor IV

Should i use SDM or LDM as project build configuration type?

How can have my own build configuration type? For debug I need to have a configuration that sets my application to run after power on and avoid the bootloader..

What do i need to change and how do i do it? for e.g setting my my Vector Table to zero address? 

@xiangjun_rong 

i am porting my code from mc56f82748 to MC56F83763. i am not sure about what data model to select since it says SDM-SPM is 16 bit and limited to 64K-word of data space

CodeWarrior Development Studio for Microcontrollers V11.x Digital Signal Controller Build Tools Reference Manual, Rev. 11.x, 11 June 2020CodeWarrior Development Studio for Microcontrollers V11.x Digital Signal Controller Build Tools Reference Manual, Rev. 11.x, 11 June 2020

CodeWarrior Development Studio for Microcontrollers V11.x Digital Signal Controller Build Tools
Reference Manual, Rev. 11.x, 11 June 2020

page 128

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

There are 3 program memory models, they are small/large/super large models, corresponding to 16 bits/19bits/21bits program address.

Compiler allows the user to choose between 2 data memory models:small data mode and large data mode, corresponding 16 bits data address and 24 bits data address.

xiangjun_rong_0-1603782719898.png

different modes corresponds different assembly instruction.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

fasihahmed
Contributor IV

thanks.

So what model should i use when porting from mc56f82748? is using small model means im limited to 64K of flash? is there any i need to limit in linker file etc for this??

how to i set my memory map so that after power on, the MCU goes to applcation code and not bootloader?

@xiangjun_rong 

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

First of all, I suggest you use SDM_LPM mode, because there is only 32KW on-chip RAM, so it is okay to use SDM. In the CW tools, you just need to select SDM_LPM project, it is okay.

For the bootloader mode, you just need to modify the following array, especially, the item:

/* NV_FOPT: FOPT[7:6] = 11b means boot from ROM, other value means boot from Flash */ \
0xFFU, \    Rong wrote: start from bootloader after reset

/* NV_FOPT: FOPT[7:6] = 11b means boot from ROM, other value means boot from Flash */ \
0x3FU, \ Rong wrote: start from application code after Reset

In other words, the data in the array determines the booting mode instead of pin logic after Reset as the other processor does.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

#pragma define_section reserved_FCF "reserved_FCF.text" RX
#pragma section reserved_FCF begin
static const uint8_t _flash_config_field[] = {

/* NV_BACKKEY3: KEY=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_BACKKEY2: KEY=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_BACKKEY1: KEY=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_BACKKEY0: KEY=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_BACKKEY7: KEY=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_BACKKEY6: KEY=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_BACKKEY5: KEY=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_BACKKEY4: KEY=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_FPROT3: PROT=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_FPROT2: PROT=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_FPROT1: PROT=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_FPROT0: PROT=0xFF */ \
0xFFU, \
/* NV_FSEC: KEYEN=1,MEEN=3,FSLACC=3,SEC=2 */ \
0x7EU, \
0xFFU, \
/* Reserved */ \
0xFFU, \
/* Reserved */ \
0xFFU
};

fasihahmed
Contributor IV

Thanks for the detailed guide.

You mention on-chip 32KW RAM, my DSC MC56F83763VLH has following specs. Is there something you missed out? Cant see 32KW anywhere. Can i still use SDM_LPM mode for this??

fasihahmed_1-1603789437943.png

fasihahmed_0-1603789381125.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure I can use .elf file to upload using JTAG via Multilink Universal FX? Since it doesnt seem to work. Do i need to configure something else in settings?

Normally in my company, they use S-Record to flash it via JTAG? Is that better? how can i use the script to generate S file correctly? below are the settings for the old source code

fasihahmed_2-1603789657407.pngfasihahmed_3-1603789710995.png

@xiangjun_rong 

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Fasih,

Q1)You mention on-chip 32KW RAM, my DSC MC56F83763VLH has following specs. Is there something you missed out? Cant see 32KW anywhere. Can i still use SDM_LPM mode for this?

>>>>For the MC56F83763, as your Fig described, it has on-chip 48KB RAM(24KW RAM), but some derivative has 64KB(32KW) on-chip RAM for example MC56F83789. so it is okay to use SDM mode.

Q2)Are you sure I can use .elf file to upload using JTAG via Multilink Universal FX? Since it doesnt seem to work. Do i need to configure something else in settings?

>>>>If you use CodeWarrior for MCU tools to download/debug using JTAG port via Multilink Universal FX, you have to use *.elf file to download.

Q3)Normally in my company, they use S-Record to flash it via JTAG? Is that better? how can i use the script to generate S file correctly? below are the settings for the old source code

>>>>As you have done in the screenshot, you can generate the S-Record file, you can use on-chip flashloader to download the S-record file to on-chip flash via uart0 port of MC56F83763 with blhost command.

I suppose that CW for mcu tools has independent plugin tools to download the S-Record file to flash via JTAG, in the case, you can NOT debug.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

fasihahmed
Contributor IV

Ok thanks.

can you explain the difference in flash speed between these two DSCs?

will the MC56F83763 provide better performance compared to MC56f82748 if we run the code in FLASH? I ask this because there is difference in both the DSC's internal clock frequency? 50Mhz vs 100Mhz

And will running MC56F83763 code in FLASH v/s RAM provide any speed difference? I know it helps for MC56f82748.  But not sure about the new MC56F83763

fasihahmed_9-1603919542675.png

fasihahmed_0-1603920433323.png

@xiangjun_rong 

0 Kudos