CodeWarrior TAP, IDE and PikeOS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CodeWarrior TAP, IDE and PikeOS

manoloruiz
Contributor III

Is there any compability between codewarrior Tap, Codewarrior software IDE and PikeOS?

9 Replies

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Please help to provide the chip part number you are using. Thanks.

best regards,

Mike

0 Kudos

manoloruiz
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

We have the following device/Software:

In my T2080RDB run a PikeOS native personality. A simple loop which says "Hello world".

In my codewarrior Development, I use my program unstripped which contains "Hello world".

1. I start my T2080RDB, which starts to write in my terminal "hello world"

2. I attach my "hello world" from codewarrior Development

3. I pause from codeWarrior Development. My terminal pause to write "hello world"

4. I click on continue in CodeWarrior Develompent Suite and the terminal print "hello Word again"

So far, work properly. However, when I take a look to the memory position I see the following:
one.png

two.png

What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos

manoloruiz
Contributor III

To extend the information in the previous message:

The code of the hello world application is:

int main(void)
{
    P4_uid_t me;
    P4_timeout_t sleeptime;

/* get my own PikeOS unique Id */
    me = p4_my_uid();

/* Startup message. */
    vm_cputs("Hello World!!!, starting up.\n");

/* Do the real work */
    sleeptime = P4_SEC(2);
    for (;;) {
       vm_cprintf("Hello World, this is task %d, thread %d\n",
       P4_UID_GET_TASK(me), P4_UID_GET_THREAD(me));
       p4_sleep(sleeptime);
    }
}

We can see that the address of main is:

$ nm -S hello.unstripped | grep main
08017820 00000068  T main

and the binary content of main is:

$ objdump -d hello.unstripped | sed -n '/<main>:/,+5p'
08017820 <main>:
8017820: 94 21 ff e0 stwu r1,-32(r1)
8017824: 7c 08 02 a6 mflr r0
8017828: 90 01 00 24 stw r0,36(r1)
801782c: 93 a1 00 14 stw r29,20(r1)
8017830: 93 c1 00 18 stw r30,24(r1)

We create a codewarrior bareboard project(QoIQ_T2 family and T2080 processor), using board T2080RDB-PCIe with attach launch and the connection type codeWarrior TAP(over Ethernet)· The next screenshot shows the debug configuration:

pastedImage_38.png

We stop the execution of the program with the Multicore Suspend button:

pastedImage_39.png

where we can see that cores are stopped in address 0xFFFFFFFC or 0x800360E8, that are addresses out of the text range of the application. At this stage we can see that the execution is actually stopped because we don't get new hello world messages in the console.

We try to setup the memory monitor in the address 0x8017820 (the address of main) and we only can see words with the DEADBEEF value (both in Virtual and physical spaces), so we deduce that the memory monitor cannot see the actual memory.

If we try to setup a memory monitor at 0x800360e8 (the address where some of the cores are stopped) we only can see ???????? words (both in Virtual and physical spaces).

We tried a pure baremetal application (without any OS) and we were able to see the actual memory and even doing step execution, but at the moment that we have an OS we only can suspend and resume.

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello manolo ruiz,

For T2080 processor, please download and install CodeWarrior for PA 10.5.1.

The Attach launch configuration is often used to debug program boot from NOR flash, for example debugging u-boot.

If you want to download the program to RAM then perform debugging, you need to use "Download" Launch configuration. You could import the elf to create a project and select "Download" launch configuration.

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos

manoloruiz
Contributor III

Hello Yiping,

I would like to thank you for your fast answer. As we comment, our use case is not downloading a bare application to the RAM, as we are using a RTOS whose image is composed by a kernel, several applications and a ROM filesystem.

For this reason, our use case is more similar to the case that you describe about debugging a boot program from NOR flash (for example u-boot as you said). We cannot download the application directly in memory because it would mean that the rest of the system is not downloaded to the board and the execution would be impossible.

We have developed in the previous answer all the configuration of the project in CodeWarrior to make clear what is the configuration that we are using, and we have explained the addresses used in our application only to show the  discordance between the actual content of the application and the content showed in the memory monitor of CodeWarrior.

We understand that when we suspend all the cores of the processor and they are using the MMU, when we select a range of addresses in the memory monitor and we select the Virtual Space the content showed in the memory monitor should be correct in the virtual space of the current thread (independently of running in Hypervisor, Supervisor or in user space), but this is not what we are seeing.

I suppose that this use case is very common as a processor so powerful like the T2080 is usually used with RTOS and not only with bare metal applications, but with the information that you provided in your previous answer we still don't know how to proceed with this use case. Do you know if it is possible to use CodeWarrior in such type of environments?, or do I have to derive from your previous answer that CodeWarrior only can be used for bare metal applications?

Kind Regards,

Manolo

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello manolo ruiz,

CodeWarrior can be used to debug the ROM version program, you could refer to https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-100403 .

Thanks,

Yiping

manoloruiz
Contributor III

Thanks very much for your answer. I have read the document but there is only information to debug u-boot. How can I debug a simple HelloWorld in vxwork or PikeOS? I would like to debug the application. Not U-boot.

Best Regards,

Manolo.

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I don't have the document to debug vxworks or PikeOS.

You could refer to the section "Chapter 7 Debugging Embedded Linux Software" in C:\Freescale\CW_PA_v10.5.1\PA\Help\PDF\Targeting_PA_Processors.pdf.

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Manolo,

Thanks for the feedback.

For I don't support DN(T2080) product, I will ask my colleague to help your case.

Thanks for the patience.

best regards,

Mike