Where to find HASP Dongle software?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to find HASP Dongle software?

cinesys
Contributor I
I'm trying to install a new copy of CodeWarrior Development Studio for PowerPC ISA Embedded Linux Edition for Windows with a USB Dongle Licensing Key. On the Freescale Licensing and Registration FAQ page (http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=01272624448523#Steps), under "How do I get the Dongle ID...?", it says to "Install the HSAP user setup from ftp://ftp.metrowerks.com/pub/flexlm/installers/win/HASPUserSetup.exe." However, I don't seem to be able to access the Freescale ftp server - I keep getting a "server reset" error.

Is this still a valid URL? Or is the HASP code somewhere on the installation CD?

TIA,

- Richard
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

FSL_JohnWhitney
Contributor III
Richard,

My apologies, the FAQ that you are referencing is indeed outdated.  I will have my team look into updating this ASAP.  Now, onto your issue:

For the most part, the only thing you should need to do in order to get up and running with your USB dongle is to visit the following page:
You should download the "Standard Driver Installer" to get the necessary USB drivers installed on your machine. (Do not install the "Driver Updates", you may not need them).  This will get a majority of use cases up and running on a USB dongle.

To be absolutely certain, you should then verify that FLEXlm is indeed recognizing your DongleID printed on your USB dongle by doing the following:

1. Visit the following link:
2. Select the "License Manager Installer for Windows"
3. After installation, goto:
Start --> Programs --> FLEXlm for Metrowerks Tools --> FLEXlm License Manager
4. Ensure that your USB Dongle is plugged in and the red LED is lit.
5. Navigate to the "System Settings" tab in the FLEXlm License Manager, you should see the Dongle ID displayed on your dongle within the FLEXID portion of this window.  See the attached screenshot for an example successful USB Dongle recognition within FLEXlm.

If for some reason, you are not able to see the DongleID in the FLEXlm tools, then you should look to install the "Driver Updates" that are listed right below the "Standard Driver Installer".  This contains some updates to the dongle drivers that were released after we built the other installer.

Your next steps will depend upon your specific circumstances:
- If you already have obtained a license file tied to your dongle, you should be good to go.
- If you have already activated and obtained a license through our web licensing system tied to your PC (via Disk Serial Number or MAC Ethernet Address) and would like to switch it to your USB dongle, then you should send a note to license@freescale.com and be sure to include your current license file and your DongleID that you need it locked to.
- If you have not registered/activated your product yet, you should be able to do so and at activation time you should be able to specify that you want your license locked to a dongle and specify the DongleID.

Hope this info helps....

Regards,
John Whitney
0 Kudos

FSL_JohnWhitney
Contributor III
Whoops, it didn't seem to get my screenshot.  Posting it here.

Regards,
John Whitney
Freescale Licensing

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-09-04 11:05 AM
0 Kudos

cinesys
Contributor I
One teensy step closer...

Thanks, John!

I downloaded the Standard Driver Installer package and installed it, however the FLEXlm License Manager did not see the USB Dongle (the red led IS on, but no Dongle ID). So I downloaded the package from Driver Updates and double-clicked "Click_To_Install_Drivers.bat". After a short pause it displays an error message:

Alladin Device Driver Installation Utility for Win32
File processing error
ErrorCode: 12, 4 583 2
0xc0000 0x0 0xc0000

Some background: I have two Windows PCs (hence the need/desire for the dongle). I downloaded and installed the evaluation copy of CodeWarrior about a month ago on one of the PCs (call it PC #1), made sure it worked for what we wanted to do, then ordered a "real" copy with the USB Dongle Key.

When the purchased copy arrived, I installed it on my 2nd ("virgin") PC, registered it, got the authorization code, authorized it and everything works fine. I didn't need to install any USB/Alladin software - I suspect because I have another copy-protected application that uses a USB dongle, so the HASP software was probably already there.

But when I went to authorize the original copy on the 1st PC, I discovered that the 15-day eval period had expired, and I couldn't launch the IDE app to enter the authorization codes. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting the license file, etc. etc. - and I continue to get the "Sorry, your 15-days is over, now quitting" message. I contacted your Customer Support and am waiting for a reply.

Meanwhile, I tried running the FLEXlm License Manager and discovered that it couldn't "see" the USB dongle. Since I don't have a previous HASP application on PC #1, the first time I plugged in the dongle Windows found and installed a driver. That was when I tried to get on your website and get the "real" version - which is where I am now.

Other than that, I'm a deliriously happy customer... :smileywink:

Thanks again for any suggestions,

- Richard
0 Kudos

FSL_JohnWhitney
Contributor III
Richard,

Sounds like you may be having a driver conflict issue on PC#1.  There is a "FLEXid Cleanup Utility" that is handy for removing any legacy/old drivers and ensure a clean slate for dongle driver installation.  I will soon have this up on our USB Dongle page at:

But for now, you can obtain it at:

After running this utility, you should be able to run our Standard Driver Installer (and Driver Updates, if they are necessary).

You should not need to authorize/activate your CodeWarrior installation on PC#1 since you have already activated the product successfully on PC#2.  You should be able to simply copy/move the license file from PC#2 and, once you resolve your USB dongle FLEXid recognition issues, fire up CodeWarrior and have it work just fine.

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos

cinesys
Contributor I
John -

I downloaded FlexID Cleanup from the macrovision site, but it didn't help. I found a log file that it created and the log basically reported that the app couldn't find any of the files it was looking for (presumably older versions), but it did find the most recent version so it was happy. However, FLEXlm License Manager still didn't see the dongle.

So, hatchet in hand, I went to the Add/Remove Programs Control panel and found a "HASP HL Device Driver" package and manually uninstalled it. Then I rebooted (to make sure the driver really didn't load) and tried running Dongle_Drivers again ("Click_To_Install_Drivers.bat"). This time it succeeded! I then plugged in the dongle and ran FLEXlm License Manager - and there it was!

Per your suggestion, I copied my license.dat file from PC #2, ran CodeWarrior and up it came! Note that I did NOT try re-installing HASP_User_Setup_5.11 - and at this point I ain't touchin' nothin'!!

Thanks for your help - I hope (for your sake) this doesn't represent a typical user purchase experience!

- Richard
0 Kudos

cinesys
Contributor I
P.S. (FYI...) One of the many web pages I've cruised through today said something like, "Follow the installation instructions that came with your USB Dongle". I got NOTHING with the dongle: the distributor (Arrow) just shipped me the dongle in a anti-static baggie. No box, no papers, nada. And I don't see any mention of USB dongles in the CodeWarrior Quick Start Guide supplied with the software.

So if you're expecting customers to know what to do based on the supplied documentation - it ain't getting out here...

- Richard
0 Kudos