No Error at compile but there are "LINKING FAILED" in the map file

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Error at compile but there are "LINKING FAILED" in the map file

JasonFung
Contributor I

I have old code which was working on Codewarrior IDE v5.1.

When I want to compile with the  Codewarrior IDE v5.9, there are no Error appear in "Errors & Warnings" dialog.

However, the output .s19 file doesn't work on HCS12DG128.

Then I have found out that there are message in the map file that the linking is failed.

Message as below:

• *********************************************************************************************
    *********************************************************************************************
    LINKING FAILED
    The linking process failed in some stage.
    Depending on the phase the linker failed, part of the information contained in this map file may be inaccurate or wrong.
    If the linking failed before the allocation phase finished, then the addresses might be inaccurate.
    Also summary information like the code size is likely to be misleading.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Environment: Windows 10 Pro

MCU: HCS12DG128

Codewarrior IDE v5.9.0

I have written a small program to confirm the compile and the MCU is working properly.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi JasonFung 

please send me your problem screenshot and your project. I will try to reproduce the issue on my side.

Thanks

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos

JasonFung
Contributor I

Sorry that I could not send out the code due to confidential.

However, what cause may lead to only "LINKING FAILED" in the map file which have been used before.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I wonder there is error definition in you linker file or error address definition in your source code.

But as I don't have your code, I am not 100% sure. If your code is confidential, I suggest you creating a private ticket to NXP support with your demo project, removing the confidential part if you don't want share. we just need a project that can reproduce the error.

Thanks,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos