cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug Symbol option?

zwilcox
Contributor IV

Hey!

I'm attempting to debug a board.   When I try to debug step, I get a message asking to load the debug symbols.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the machine right now so I can't post the exact message.

I was looking through build settings and couldn't find an option to remove or add the debug symbols.

The optimizer was turned all the way down.  Where can I find the debug symbol option?  Or is there a flag I have to add?

Thanks

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Zachary,

if you do not see debug symbols in files, which are directly placed in your project and which you always compile, you can accidentally deselect debug symbols in Project manager, please see the figure below:

pastedImage_1.png

All files, which contains black dot in the column marked in the figure contains debug symbols.

But if you debug for example a library, which is compiled without debug symbols, it is not possible to add debug symbols without recompiling.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

zwilcox
Contributor IV

Thanks b55689‌.

It looks like I have the black dot for the debug symbols:
pastedImage_1.png

The dot is on all the *.c files

However, I get the following errors:
pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

According to the output you shred, it looks like there is some error during Flash programming and this is the root cause of no debug information loaded.

Could you please tell me, what microcontroller you use and what debug probe you use?

Also, is the project you try to load created in this version of CodeWarrior?

Could you please show me, what is the version of ICDPPCNEXUS?

pastedImage_1.png

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

zwilcox
Contributor IV

Hey b55689

I'm using the PE Micro Universal Multilink rev B.  The project I created is with Code Warrior.

The issue is with the 1.34 debugger:
pastedImage_1.png

I've tried to upgrade to 

pastedImage_3.png

However, when I do, I get the following error after trying to load the elf to flash.

With 1.34 I can at least load the image.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The root cause of your problem is in name of the algorithm used for loading elf file. Please see the figure below:

pastedImage_1.png

When you check installation folder, there is algorithm called freescale_mpc... So, I tried to find any file, where this can be configured, but I was not successful. Fortunately, there is workaround you can use.

As soon as error occurs, click Quit button. Then write FSETUP into the window marked in the figure below and select appropriate pcp algorithm.

pastedImage_2.png

As soon as correct pcp algorithm is selected, you can successfully use fload command.

Please let me know, if this is suitable and working solution for you.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos