cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debugger for the S08PA32

rocco
Senior Contributor II

Hi,

We have been using the HC08/S08 processors for 20 years, but have just designed the S08PA32 into a project.

The code is written, assembled, and linked (we don't use C for the 08's), and then we went to load the firmware into our board with the OSBDM. The debugger that we tried to use, Hiwave.exe from Codewarrior 6.1, did not recognize the PA32. So we downloaded CodeWarrior 11 before the holidays, and we were then side-tracked by more important projects.

We came back to the PA32 project today, but when we tried to start CodeWarrior 11, if refused to start, stating that it has been more than 30 days since installation.

So we have some questions:

1) Is there a file that would allow the CW 6.1 version of Hiwave recognize the PA32? This would be our preferred approach.

2) What do we need to get CW 11 to debug assembly code? Is a license required for that?

3) Are there better third-party debuggers that we could be looking for? We have had awful experiences with Freescale's Eclipse-based IDE's for their DSPs.

Thanks,

Mark

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
2 Replies

tonyp
Senior Contributor II

Answering (3), I won't claim better or worse, simply what I've been using successfully with PA32: PEMicro's ICDHCS08Z In-Circuit Debugger.  (They had to update me to the latest version, though as there were several incompatibilities with the PA series with my older version.)

rocco
Senior Contributor II

Thanks Tony. I will give that a look.

I have little faith in CodeWarrior, and have had some luck with P&E in the distant past.

0 Kudos