Why does AN4347 exist?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does AN4347 exist?

colinhoward
Contributor I

This app note is titled "Transitioning Applications from S08AC and S08FL Family to S08PT Family"

Why are Freescale providing guidance on this? In all my years of working on Freescale/Motorol processors, this sort of app note only comes out when a part is being end of lifed.  Can anyone provide any insight?

Cheers

Colin

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

eckhard
Contributor V

Hello,

this is not the first time for an Appnote like this. There is another AN for Migrating from AW to AC series. I think both of them are very similar.

In case of the PT Family this MCU is quite different to other HCS08 MCUs. The I/O port structure is different and the registernames have changed etc, so your HCS08 code wont run on a PT60 without investigation. Nevertheless the PT Family is very interesting with all its featurs. Seems that Freescale thinks a change from AC and FL is most likely in many cases.

On the other hand, not all ANs are written by Freescale, some are from users and so it might be that someone wrote about his experiences.

Eckhard

colinhoward
Contributor I

Thanks for your comments Eckhard.  You have a point regarding the AW to AC migration document, however in all of the other cases I have seen these migration documents only come out when devices are being end-of-lifed as I mentioned (and both of these docs appear to have been authored by Freescale)

Anyway, maybe I'm just being paranoid due to the long list of S08 devices that are being discontinued, and worrying if the AC family is next! :smileyconfused:

Regards,

Colin

0 Kudos