USB FREESCALE HC08 PROGRAMMER BOARD

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB FREESCALE HC08 PROGRAMMER BOARD

mauricio2346
Contributor II
HI!! in te last 3 months i have tried to assemble a hc08 programmer for jk1, gp32, jk3,jl3 and others. i want to use my usb port because in my design, i dont want to use any kind of external power supply. first with serial port (20mA max.), i realized that a board with a lot of components or microcontrollers, the current supply needed by the board is more that the port can give, for that reason, my serial port would be damaged. with usb i think i dont have this problem because it can gives 500 mA. i need to convert usb protocol(rs485) to rs232 with ft232bm chip (example), then convert rs232 signals to microcontroller levels with (max232). there is another way to do this???? how reliable is this "crazy idea"???
i need some help.

another thing: i cannot program my smd microcontrollers (as mc68hc908qb8). if i solder it in a thiny pcb with a little port, and conect into my board, it would work???

Thanks....
Mauricio Fernández Montoya
P.D:sorry for my english ( i am colombian :smileyvery-happy:)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

juanesteban
Contributor I
hi!!!!!!
:smileyvery-happy:
0 Kudos

joerg
Contributor II
Hi Alex
i have made a single sided USB-SCI converter with the FTDI chip. I will put the doc on my homepage or can send it to you if you want. I also made a HC08 programmer with a USB interface (based on the above design) but unfortunately it does not work, because of incompatibilities with the break command!

Saluti Joerg
0 Kudos

alex_spotw
Contributor III
Hi Mauricio:

I would recommend to use newer parts like the HCS08 family (GB60, etc) because they have BDM debugging and programming modes.

However, you should be able to use the Serial Monitor/Debug via the FTDI chip, without problem.

Regards,

Alex.

PS. Mauricio, si necesita ayuda, me puede mandar un email privado en el forum (vea en Messages en la parte de arriba de la pagina). Yo tambien soy colombiano, pero vivo en Canada...
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello Alex,

I would also recomment to use S08, however I do not know any S08 with a USB module.

Do you have a reference to recommend ?
It will not be really faster as to program HC08 (ultimate goal), the baudrate is still in the 9600-36400bps range. But it would certainly be easier to debug the USB-MON08 software !

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

alex_spotw
Contributor III
Hi:

I don't recall any HCS08 with USB module. My suggestion is still use the USB-to-RS232 converter, but with HCS08 parts. This would simplify things for the developer (USB is not an easy development for beginners).

Regards,

Alex
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello Mauricio,

You could use a HC908JB16 and get a conversion from USB to RS232 at 5V directly.
The JB family is USB and the SCI is an RS232 but at 5V level.

The SCI will allow you not to use a MAX232 level translator.
You can have a look at the OSBDM08 project to see what can be done with the HC908JB family

Good Luck,
Alban.
0 Kudos