Trouble programming JM32 with DEMOQE

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble programming JM32 with DEMOQE

protoease
Contributor II
I'm having a heck of a time trying to debug/program a JM32 using a DEMOQE board's built in BDM multilink interface.  I just have the bare essentials as far as the JM32 setup...basically what they have in the Data sheet near the beginning setup for 5V.  Without the BDM, both reset and bkgd are pulled to 5V.  With the BDM pod connected, reset immediately drops to 3.82 V, the highest the BKGD pin goes is 2.54V when trying to connect inside the True-time Simulator/debugger.  I get an error in the True time console: Error: Can not enter background mode

I noticed on the DEMOQE schematic there is a 4.7k pullup installed as R3 on the BKGD line to its VDD, which is around 3.1V.  There is a 4.7k pullup on the schematic as R4 on the RESET line to VDD, but this resistor is not installed on my board.  I only installed 5 out of the 6 pins for the BDM connector on the DEMO board, I left out pin 6, VDD as I was wary of frying the DEMO board with my 5V target.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the DEMOQE board could work with 5V targets.  Does anyone have experience doing this, and/or tell me what i'm doing wrong.  I have used the DEMOQE to debug a QG16 externally before, that worked fine.

Thanks,
Aaron
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

protoease
Contributor II
The DEMOJM board is $99, I would just buy the PE Multilink for that much. 

I borrowed a Multilink from work and it works just fine, so it must be some level translation issue...

0 Kudos

w8abz
Contributor II
I had the same problem when I got my blank 9S08QE32s.  I could not get the DEMOQE board (with a 6-pin header soldered in and cable to target) to program them, even though it will program the 9S08QE32 on the plug-in daughterboard just fine.  I even wire-wrapped to the pins on the DEMO board, straight to an SO-to-DIP adapter with the QE32 on it -- no joy.

I had to buy the USB-Multilink.  Had to cycle power on my target the first time, then it programmed fine.  In my application, I set the RESET and BKGD pins to perform those functions (instead of the defaults), and now it goes into debug just fine without cycling power.

I never got a good answer from P&E or Freescale as to why the DEMOQE (or DEMOQG8) on-board BDM won't program a blank QE32.  But it won't.  (I was able to use the DEMOQG8 on-board BDM to program blank QG8s.... go figure.)

The chips on the daughterboards come pre-flashed with the demo application, which sets up RESET and BKGD, so the on-board BDM will work with them.  I bet if you unsoldered the chip from the daughterboard and soldered on a blank part, it wouldn't go into debug.....

Probably intentional to keep from giving away free BDMs in the design contests....

Dale, W8ABZ

0 Kudos

TurboBob
Contributor IV
I am having a similar issue with trying to use my demo boards as a BDM interface.  Everything is fine in version 6.1  with 6.2 I need to use the JM demo board, as it won't let me use the AW demo board.  This is ok,  I have both demo boards (the QE demo as well)  But 6.2 will not connect to my JM target system, but it will connect to a JM chip if I install the daughter board.

Is there a reset connection thru the ribbon cable that is necessary (has not been in the past...)  Or other supporting connections? 

Thanks!

Bob
0 Kudos

Ake
Contributor II
Hi,
Get a DEMOJM board instead.
The DEMO boards have been designed to support only the MCU that is in the extension.

Regards,
Ake
0 Kudos