cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPM

BAN
Contributor II
Hi!

I'm trying to set up the S08TPMV3 module in MC9S08DZ32 for the first time and some questions arises.

I'm planning to use TPM2 as a pure SW timer and in the Data Sheet for MC9S08DZ32, chapter 16.1.2 (Modes of operation) it's written:
The output compare action may be selected to force the pin to zero, force the pin to one, toggle the pin, or ignore the pin (used for software timing functions).

Then I read the register definitions under 16.3.4 and in the table 16-6 all configurations for the output compare mode are mentioned except for the 'ignore pin mode'. The ELSnB:ELSnA combination 0:0 is omitted in the table and I wonder if this might be the setting for the 'ignore pin mode'.?

Is it possible to use the TPM as a software timer, ignore the pin and then use this pin for general I/O purposes at the same time??

Regards
Bengt-Olov

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hello BAN,

In the manual I'm looking at (Rev.4 6/2008) Table 16-6 is split over a page break.
The description for ELSnB:ELSnA = 00 is on the previous page to the rest of the table.
It works as always to effectively free the pin for other uses.

0 Kudos

denny_george
Contributor I
Hello Bengt-Olov,

As Peg said the pin is used for normal General purpose I/O.No where related to TPM/Output compare.

Is it possible to use the TPM as a software timer, ignore the pin and then use this pin for general I/O purposes at the same time??

I would say yes.

Also note: S08TPM version 3, which applies to the 0M74K and newer mask sets of this device. 3M05C and older ask set devices use S08TPM version 2.One cannot randomly use it .

0 Kudos