cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powering up HC05

Coolcat
Contributor I
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone please give me some advice on a HC05 chip.  I am trying to power the chip up so I can gain access to read the eeprom.  I have tried several different pin configurations based off some documents I have.  Can someone please tell me the pins to connect to.  I have a pinout of the chip just struggling to get communication.  Thanks in advance.  Everyone on this site has been very helpful.

Regards Coolcat
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Andik
Contributor I
Hello,
may be, the firmware contained in secured HC05 supports memory dump (or more operations) provided some security check mechanism is succesfully completed.

AFAIK, the 05B16 contains 256B of EEPROM.

To program 05B16, you need more then 3 pins. Three sounds better than 5 or 8 or more :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Andik on 2007-01-1510:23 AM

0 Kudos

rocco
Senior Contributor II

Andik wrote:
AFAIK, the 05B16 contains 256B of EEPROM.
Andik is correct. My bad. That's what I get for trusting the webpage. :smileywink:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=68HC05B16
0 Kudos

joerg
Contributor II
Hi,
if i hear 3 wires and a HC05 device; i think it is a serial connection with their own protocol. Useless to invest too much time to get the way it works.

Saluti Joerg
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi guys,

Well... If the device is the Mask Set mentioned before, then it is NOT the reference mentioned here.

As the information is Confidential and Proprietary of the company who created the device, I cannot post the device reference.
However, I wanted to mention you are going the wrong way.

If you are an approved/registered dealer, you should ask for an authorization from Saab.
Otherwise, I don't see any legal way for you to hack the keys, even if I know there is a already a real market for it.

Does anyone has any advice on how to access this kind of info ?

I have seen a few Automobile forums where things liek this are explained. That could be a way...

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

Coolcat
Contributor I
Peg,

I understand your concerns.  Our company has had a very good reputation for the past 30 years and are also bonded service providers.  As far as keys go we are distributors of keys internationally.  And no you can't have my bank account PIN :smileyvery-happy:

Regards
0 Kudos

Coolcat
Contributor I
Thank you for everyones replies.  It is a HC05B16.  What I am trying to accomplish is this. I service high end cars.  Whenever someone loses there keys to a Saab I have to replace this module they call a TWICE module.  It is quite expensive.  I would like to reset the module to a state that will accept the new keys.  All I need to do is access the eeprom of the device.  This is possible I know because there are companies that are providing this service in my industry.  They do not want to share the information on how because they would not make as much money.  They are just a aftermarket service provider like me.  One of the guys did share that he is only connecting to 3 pins of the device to power up and communicate with device.  I do not know if he is misleading me of if this is true.  That is why I am seeking out the answer for myself.  Thank you in advance for everyones time.
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Coolcat,

Surely you realise that there is not only the person that loses their keys to consider here. What about the person that loses their Saab?

Also presumably you need a virgin key to do this, the distribution of which would also be tightly controlled.

What is the PIN code for your bank account? I won't take any money out.

Regards
Peg

0 Kudos

rocco
Senior Contributor II
Hi, Coolcat:

The MC68HC05B16 does not contain any eeprom. If eeprom is really involved, it must be external to the HC05.
0 Kudos

rocco
Senior Contributor II
Hi, Coolcat:

In addition to what Joerg and Encoder stated, there is also the possibility that your part has mask-rom.

You mention that it is an HC05, which would normally have mask-rom. If it is mask-rom, there will be no way to read the contents.

If it is an HC705, then it has eprom, and might be readable, if it has not been secured. But I know of no one who didn't secure their parts.

If it is an HC805, then it has eeprom, and may be readable as well, but the HC805s were used mainly for firmware development.

Message Edited by rocco on 2007-01-1206:30 PM

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

The question was "indirectly" asked earlier in the post 3859.

The mask corresponds to a ROM part and the code is proprietary to the company who created it.
You may try asking the code from that company, but I doubt they would release it.

Regards,
Alban.

Message Edited by Alban on 2007-01-13 03:09 AM

0 Kudos

Encoder
Contributor I
Obviously You need at least refer to the proper model: as Joerg suggested, there are more than a dozen of HC05 models. I too have experience with HC705J and HC16B but HC05C9 or P6 are equally diffused.

Unfortunately if the ROM is secured, as it is good practice to do, you have no possibility to read the code...

Good luck,
Encoder

Message Edited by Encoder on 2007-01-1209:04 PM

0 Kudos

joerg
Contributor II
Hi Coolcat
what type is it? I have experience in K an B16 types and have also the programming tools.

Maybe i can help you.

Saluti Joerg
0 Kudos