MC1321x problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC1321x problems

rpourzia
Contributor I
I have designed a new board based on the MC13213-SRB. After I populated a few boards I have the following problem: The BDM correctly sees the MCU and allows me to program the flash. When I program the flash with any of the SMAC applications using MC13213-SRB as target, BDM is happy and when I selec run, it says STARTIN, and then RUNNING. But I don't see any output from CLKO and none of outputs from the internal regulators have any voltage.

With my first board, I suspected a solder short under the chip. Howver, I built a few more boards and I ohmed all the adjascent pins and now I am conviced there are no short as it would be a strange cooincident to have the same solde problem on several chips.

I also suspected my crystal which is KDS DSX-321G. But I have used these successfully with MC1312s. I have also checked the capacitor valuses with LCR meter and they are close to 6.8pf.

Even if I have a defective crystal, I should see the 32KHz signal on the CLKO before I switch to the external oscillator. But I don't see any output.

So far, I have only tried using the standard SMAC apps such as the wireless uart and range plus demo. I have not tried going inside the SMAC source code and stepping through the initialization.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to diagnose and fix this problem.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

hcs99908
Contributor I
hi rpourzia :

did you solve this problem yet,
I sounds have similar problem
and I 'd love to hear something from you :smileyhappy:

Thanks in advance :smileyhappy:

Kevin
0 Kudos

ok2ucx
Contributor IV
Dears,

some simple troubleshooting:

- with defective crystal you should NOT be seeing any 32kHz signal on CLKO (you might try to see crystal oscillations by the oscilloscope) - without clock, the zigbee chips appear as dead.

- if there's CLKO signal, probably the SPI communication is corrupted (some of MISO, MOSI, CE, SCLK and/or IRQ signals are disconnected, shortconnected or grounded).- in case on 13213 I would suspect those test pads below chip to be a problem.

Once all connections are OK, the initialization should go through.

Regards, Pavel ok2ucx

0 Kudos

crossfield
Contributor I
I just got two different boards designs back and both have the same problem.

The SMAC software runs, but u8AttnIrq == FALSE always. The IRQ pin is apparently never set.

What do you mean by check the test pins? These are not connected and are not accessible beneath the part.
0 Kudos

FloF
Contributor I

Hi,

I also have this problem, I use a MC13213, there's clko signal but the SPI communication doesn't work.

Could you tell me more about the test pads ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

rpourzia
Contributor I
Ok, I have traced this to the mcu_hw_config.c and it seems to die in this loop
while (u8AttnIrq == FALSE) {
if (IRQFLAG == 1) { /* Check to see if IRQ is asserted */
u16IrqReg = SPIDrvRead(0x24); /*
* Clear MC13192 interrupts and
* check for ATTN IRQ from 13192
*/
u16IrqReg &= 0x400;
if (u16IrqReg == 0) {
u8AttnIrq = FALSE;
}
else {
u8AttnIrq = TRUE;
}
}
}

Looks like the IRQFLAG never gets asserted. What would cause IRQFLAG not to be asserted?
0 Kudos