cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is BDM must to flash code to coldfire MCF51CN128cgt

sanketk
Contributor I

Hi All,

I am a newbie to coldfire devices. I am currently using MCF51CN128cgt coldfire V1 core for ethernet development.

Can we flash program the core using serial flash programming technique or it is necessary to use BDM multilink.

Also any hints on getting started with development for MCF51CN devices like which development tools to use are

appreciable.

Hoping to get the answers.

Regards,

SK 

0 Kudos
5 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

the demo code with AN3906 is for CW0.2 windows version.

to import a windows project to linux's, I know some CW10.2 linux version user do it by create a new project then add the files one by one.

Please note, CW10.2 linux is an intermediate version. we no longer recommend.

Jennie

0 Kudos

sanketk
Contributor I

Hi Jennie,

Thank You for the prompt answer. 

Yes it is clear to me now. I have some few more queries related to development.

1: What IDE do I have to use for development.

2: Since I am using Linux OS, how should I set up the development environment on linux.

Have a great day!

SK.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi SK.

We have CW v11 works for Coldfire v1. but there is only windows version variable.

CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers-Eclipse IDE|NXP 

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

sanketk
Contributor I

Hi Jennie,

Thank you for your response.

I am using code warrior 10.2 for development. I am taking help of Application Note AN3906 for implementing a serial to ethernet bridge. I have also downloaded the software for AN3906 and imported it into code warrior as a project. 

Whenever I try to build the project, I get an error as in the attached screenshotScreenshot from 2018-01-18 14_27_57.png

The highlighted line reads as follows.

Libs/mcf51cn128_c.obj: /usr/local/Freescale/CodeWarrior_MCU_10.2/eclipse/C::/Program\ Files/Freescale/CW\ MCU\ v10.1/MCU/ColdFire_Support/Derivatives/device/src/mcf51cn128.c

I know here there is a conflict between windows and linux paths. But how to change the settings so the project only takes a linux path.

Also the readme.txt with the application note states that the sw is compiled for CW 10.1 , and I am using 10.2 so will this work.

Awaiting your response eagerly.

Thank You

SK

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi SK,

BDM interface is necessary to develop, debug and program ColdFire V1 chip.

if you use NXP demo board, there is a BDM debug interface integrated on board, thus you don't need purchase a BDM emulator separately.

If you develop a customized Coldfire v1 board, you need have a BDM emulator.

User can also develop a bootloader, for example serial bootloader to program board. but BDM emulator is still needed to program bootloader into board first.

Is this clear for you?

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!