cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question, NAND chip TC58NVG0S3 use for i.MX25

Aemj
Contributor IV

Dear team,

A while ago, we received the answer on Toshiba/TC58NVG0S3 NAND chip use for i.MX25 from this community as below.

https://community.freescale.com/thread/379638

And it says that Toshiba/TC58NVG0S3 NAND flash chip cannot meet the specification of i.MX25 NFC.

We found the description table entry of “TC58NVG0S3” in your LinuxBSP, L2.6.31_09.12.00, source code.

It is written in nand_device_info_table_type_2[] structure in drivers/mtd/nand/nand_device_info.c file in the LinuxBSP.

If the code has not been tested, I mean whether the table entry of TC58NVG0S3 can really work is not sure,

Then Can I understand the NAND chip might be used as NAND device under the Linux but the NAND chip still cannot be used for Boot device?

Thanks,

Miyamoto

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The main restriction for TC58NVG0S3 with i.MX25 NFC relates to possible reliability

issues, since when considering NAND datasheet (in the Community thread) I found

information about page = (2K + 128) bytes and 8-bit ECC ; but the i.MX25 NFC uses

for such NANDs 4-bit ECC. 
Nevertheless, today I found the TC58NVG0S3 Datasheet, where there is no such
statement about 8-bit ECC. So, please consult with the manufacturer if TC58NVG0S3
page organization of (2K + 128) can be reliably used with 4-bit ECC. If so – yes we
can use this NAND with i.MX25.  

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Aemj
Contributor IV

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for your comment.

Could you show me the boot-pin settings for supporting page=(2K + 128) bytes NAND?

Or can I understand such NAND which has a page-size of (2K+128)bytes still cannot be used for boot?

Thanks,

Miyamoto

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

* BT_PAGE_SIZE[1:0]  = 01 (2K)

* BT_BUS_WIDTH =  00 (8-bit)

* BT_SPARE_SIZE = 0  (128 bytes)

* BT_MEM_TYPE[1:0] = 01  (4 address cycles)

* BT_MLC_SEL - you may try both SLC or MLC

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos