Where would I find a reference manual for the various methods for a CAN logical device driver in CW for MCUs (I'm using a FRDM-KE06Z board).

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where would I find a reference manual for the various methods for a CAN logical device driver in CW for MCUs (I'm using a FRDM-KE06Z board).

Jump to solution
NNeff
Contributor III

I've created a CAN component in my FRDM board project in CodeWarrior for MCUs.  I'm relatively new to both CAN and the FRDM boards, and I've been searching for some better (fuller) explanations of what the various methods for which one can generate code are for.  The "tool tip" that pops up for each method contains the function prototype and a list of possible error codes that might be returned, but contains no explanation of how the function is used or what it's used for in a CAN implementation.  The tutorials on CAN and on J1939 on-line talk in general about CAN and J1939 but not, of course, about the specific methods generated by CodeWarrior for MCUs for the specific transceiver on the FRDM board. I'm using CW for MCUs 10.6, and creating a project for the FRDM-KE06Z board.  Where would I find more information on the methods for which code is generated by CW for CAN on a FRDM board?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
adriancano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

You can find more information about the components in the help on component option you find if you right click on the component and select the option. The same information is present on the CodeWarrior folder following the path: C:\Freescale\CW MCU v10.6\MCU\ProcessorExpert\Beans

Regarding the "Events" this is part of the Processor Expert code, and is not referring to a Event of the CAN terminology. Refer to C:\Freescale\CW MCU v10.6\MCU\ProcessorExpert\DOCs\InterruptsEvents there you can find the information about Events.

Basically the GetEventMask() method will return the current event mask, you can see the possible values in the Events tab of the CAN_LDD information, when you call the GetEventMask method and an event is in process it will return the name of the Event that is being executed.

Hope this information can help you

Best Regards,
Adrian Sanchez Cano
Technical Support Engineer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
adriancano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Attached you can find the CAN_LDD component user guide, there you can find information about the methods and in the section Typical Usage you can find a configuration and use example for CAN_LDD component

Best Regards,
Adrian Sanchez Cano
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

NNeff
Contributor III

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the document--the Typical Usage section looks like it will be helpful.

The section on each method, however, is the same content as the 'tool-tip' text that pops up when one hovers the mouse over the method in the component inspector tab.  This content is very limited, and doesn't explain how the method is used.  For example, "GetEventMask()" -- what does that do?  I don't think 'events' are in the general CAN or J1939 terminology, so my reading there hasn't helped me any. That's just one example.  I wish there were fuller explanations of the methods provided in the documentation somewhere.

I will try to figure out what I can from reading the CAN.c code itself, but that's a long file!

Are there component reference manuals for other components, with a "Typical Usage" section?  I couldn't find anything, including the CAN_LDD file, when I tried searching Freescale's website.  If there are other such reference manuals, how do I find them?

Thanks!

Nancy

0 Kudos
adriancano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

You can find more information about the components in the help on component option you find if you right click on the component and select the option. The same information is present on the CodeWarrior folder following the path: C:\Freescale\CW MCU v10.6\MCU\ProcessorExpert\Beans

Regarding the "Events" this is part of the Processor Expert code, and is not referring to a Event of the CAN terminology. Refer to C:\Freescale\CW MCU v10.6\MCU\ProcessorExpert\DOCs\InterruptsEvents there you can find the information about Events.

Basically the GetEventMask() method will return the current event mask, you can see the possible values in the Events tab of the CAN_LDD information, when you call the GetEventMask method and an event is in process it will return the name of the Event that is being executed.

Best Regards,
Adrian Sanchez Cano

0 Kudos
NNeff
Contributor III

Thank you, Adrian! Those are all useful leads. There's really a lot of info buried in the CodeWarrior interface--I never right-clicked on a component in the list before...  Thanks again. --Nancy

0 Kudos