cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring the resolution of the VGA to support 800x600 and 640x480

ShishirJha
Contributor I

Hello to all,

I have been working with imx53 board for last few days and am loving it. I have android up and running, but ran into resolution problem. The screen that I want to use the imx53 for is 800x600 or even better if it is 800x480. Present resolution of 1024x768 was good on a monitor but the touch panel that I have now will not accept that resolution. Though I have the task of integrating the touch screen driver in the kernel still ahead of me, I would like to get the resolution right first. I am using the VGA port and not the LVDS output for the touch panel display. 

Looking at the Kernel Source it looks like I need to edit the frame buffer definitions in mx53loco.c but I am not sure what values to input there to define a mode for 800x600 and 800x480. 

Any help in this matter would be great. 

Also, has anyone tried soldering a momentary push button switch on to the Power button to get the Power button out on a case for switching the board on and off. I am skeptical on whether I should do it or not and if it would affect the PMIC in any way. 

Regards

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

ShishirJha
Contributor I

Thank you Phil and Luis for your help, it guided me to the right path and all that I needed to was change the vga line from VGA-XGA to VGA-SVGA in the uboot to get force it to 800x600. This was defined in tve.c.

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

800x600x16bpp and 800x600x32bpp are supported in the BSP, see BSP release notes for kernel parameters.

These app notes can help you:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/search/Serp.jsp?qt=different+display&QueryText=different+display&bas...

You can check the following application notes:

AN3974 : Different Display Configurations on i.MX35 Linux PDK
AN4182 : Different Display Configurations on the i.MX31 Linux PDK

See also, chapter 18:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/user_guide/MX53UG.pdf?fpsp=1&WT_TYPE=Users%20Guides&WT_VE...

Have a look to static struct fb_videomode video_modes_vga[] in tve.c

You will have to add new entry in the struct and a new 'CASE' in 'int tve_setup(int mode)'

Best Regards,

0 Kudos

PhilEndecott
Contributor II
Yes, you need to hack the kernel. No, I don't know the values that you need. Yes, I believe that you should be able to extend the power-on button in the way that you propose without any trouble.
0 Kudos