FAQ: MCUXpresso Software and Tools

Document created by Michael Norman Employee on Nov 1, 2016Last modified by Martha Diana Torres Ramirez on Feb 28, 2017
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

What is MCUXpresso software and tools?

The MCUXpresso toolkit include three components:

• MCUXpresso IDE – an integrated development environment (IDE)
  • MCUXpresso SDK  –  embedded runtime software (drivers, stacks, middleware, RTOS), and
  • MCUXpresso Config Tools - configuration tools in online and desktop editions that provide graphical user interfaces for creating system initialization software that is compatible with the MCUXpresso SDK. 

When will MCUXpresso software and tools be available?

• MCUXpresso SDK will be available from the online SDK Builder in mid-November.  However, since MCUXpresso SDK is a rebrand of the popular Kinetis SDK v2, Kinetis support is available now. Also, LPC5411x support is available now in a standalone LPC SDK v2 based on the Kinetis SDKv2 architecture and APIs.
  • MCUXpresso Config Tools online edition will be available mid-November. However, MCUXpresso Config Tools is a rebrand of the Kinetis Expert tools with Kinetis support is available now. The desktop edition (local install on Windows, Mac or Linux) of MCUXpresso Config tools will be available in March, 2017.
  • MCUXpresso IDE will be available in March, 2017

Which devices are supported?

A comprehensive list of supported devices is available in the Community document here.

I'm using Kinetis SDK today. Should I move to MCUXpresso SDK?

Kinetis SDKv2 users should continue using Kinetis SDK v2. Kinetis SDKv2 will undergo a change in name only – no architecture changes. So, you will be able to seamlessly move to MCUXpresso SDK when available.

I'm using LPCOpen today. Should I move to MCUXpresso SDK?

LPCOpen users can continue to use LPCOpen or, if you are early in your design cycle on LPC5411x devices, they may choose to move to the MCUXpresso/Kinetis SDKv2-compatible SDK available here.  LPC devices introduced in November 2016 and beyond will come with an MCUXpresso SDK and not LPCOpen software.

Does the MCUXpresso SDK require use of the MCUXpresso IDE?

No.  The MCUXpresso SDK will include many demo applications and usage examples with pre-configured MCUXpresso IDE projects, but will also include pre-configured projects for IAR Embedded Workbench, ARM Keil MDK, GNU tools with Cmake build scripts, and more.

Does the MCUXpresso SDK require use of the MCUXpresso Config Tools?

No. The MCUXpresso SDK contains all the software needed to get started with embedded development on Kinetis and LPC devices.  However, the Config Tools can greatly accelerate development through the graphical interface that guides you through system configuration.

I'm using Kinetis Design Studio today. Should I move to MCUXpresso IDE?

You should continue to use Kinetis Design Studio (KDS) IDE on your current project.  MCUXpresso IDE will be available in March 2017 and will have broad device support (see a list of supported devices in the Community document here). If you start a new design from March, 2017 onward, we would encourage you to move to MCUXpresso IDE.  However, MCUXpresso SDK releases will continue to support KDS through the end of 2017.

I'm using LPCXpresso IDE today. Should I move to MCUXpresso IDE?

You can continue to use LPCXpresso IDE on your current project. MCUXpresso IDE will be available in March 2017 and will have broad device support (see a list of supported devices in the Community document here).  If you start a new design from March, 2017 onward, we would encourage you to move to MCUXpresso IDE.  In addition to MCUXpresso SDK support, the MCUXpresso IDE will also support LPCOpen runtime software like LPCXpresso IDE.  In fact, MCUXpresso IDE borrows much of its technology from LPCXpresso IDE, so the new IDE should be very familiar to you.

Attachments

Outcomes