AnsweredAssumed Answered

L4.9.11_1.0.0-ga_mfg-tools tools issue for flashing on Nand flash onto I.mX6ULL EVK board

Question asked by Shan on Apr 8, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 9, 2018 by Shan

Dear I.mX Community,

Am using fsl-yocto-L4.9.11_1.0.0 bsps with L4.9.11_1.0.0-ga_mfg-tools on windows machine for flashing onto NAND, I got this version of mfg tools first working with SD card

W.r.t hardware modifications, we have just replaced only Nor flash with NAND without any other modifications in I.mx6ull evk

I am using  "mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-nand.vbs" with Nand flash chip foot print same as "MT29F32G08CBADBWP-12IT:D" as mentioned in i.mx6Ull eck schematics

The below is the vbs content:

Set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.shell")
wshShell.run "mfgtool2.exe -c ""linux"" -l ""NAND Flash"" -s ""sxuboot=sabreauto""  -s ""sxdtb=sabreauto"" -s ""6uluboot=14x14evk"" -s ""6uldtb=14x14-evk"" -s ""board=sabreauto"" -s ""nand=nand"" -s ""nanddtb=gpmi-weim"" -s ""part_uboot=0"" -s ""part_kernel=1"" -s ""part_dtb=2"" -s ""part_rootfs=4""   "
Set wshShell = Nothing

Case 1 (prebuilt):
Initially I tried with prebuilt images (IMX6_L4.9.11_1.0.0_MFG_TOOL(REV L4.9.11_1.0.0)) by double clicking onto "
mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-nand.vbs" without modifying any cfg.ini and ucl.xml file

Kernel command line: console=ttymxc0,115200 rdinit=/linuxrc g_mass_storage.stall=0 g_mass_storage.removable=1 g_mass_storage.file=/fat g_mass_storage.ro=1 g_mass_storage.idVendor=0x066F g_mass_storage.idProduct=0x37FF g_mass_storage.iSerialNumber= mtdparts=gpmi-nand:64m(boot),16m(kernel),16m(dtb),1m(misc),-(rootfs) clk_ignore_unused

Case 2 (built):
I tried rebuilding the mfg tools in yocto build setup with "bitbake fsl-image-mfgtool-initramfs" as mentioned in section 6.2 of i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide(, Rev. L4.9.11_1.0.0-ga+mx8-alpha, 09/2017).

And in the built images case the kernel command line arguments I see is as below
Kernel command line: console=ttymxc0,115200 rdinit=/linuxrc g_mass_storage.stall=0 g_mass_storage.removable=1 g_mass_storage.file=/fat g_mass_storage.ro=1 g_mass_storage.idVendor=0x066F g_mass_storage.idProduct=0x37FF g_mass_storage.iSerialNumber= clk_ignore_unused

In both the cases, I see the below errors that is probe is failing
"imx6ul-pinctrl 20e0000.iomuxc: unable to find group for node gpmi-nand-1 
gpmi-nand: probe of 1806000.gpmi-nand failed with error -22"

And in both the cases it fails in at the same step " Erasing the boot partition" as attached in the snapshot and I have attached the mfg_tool log as well

ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: ExecuteCommand--Push[WndIndex:0], Body is $ flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0 0
ModuleID[2] LevelID[1]: PortMgrDlg(0)--MSCDevice--Command Push(no file) excute failed
ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: CmdOperation[0], current command executed failed, so SetEvent(hDevCanDeleteEvent)

I tried in the procedure and the respective changes as mentioned in the below link, but still it is the same issue
https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-236994

Could you please retry on your board with L4.9.11_1.0.0-ga mfg tools with prebuilt and built images and let me know do you also face the same issue and if so, could you please let me know how this issue can be resolved

Kindly do the needful as early as possible, as am stuck with this issue from past 3 days , still now no clues

Eagerly awaiting for your replies

Many Thanks in advance

Outcomes