cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFFlasher "Could not initialize BDM Device"

BobSchmanski
Contributor I
Hi Everybody.

I'm hoping someone has experienced a similar problem and/or can help me figure out where I'm going wrong. I am trying to resurrect a M5249C3 development board with a corrupted flash. I am absolutely unable to get the CFFlasher program to do anything useful. I downloaded v3.1 from freescale's web site, as well as P&E's hardware device drivers. I have a P&E Coldfire "LV" cable and a Dell Optiplex PC with Windows XP Pro. I have used this cable successfully to debug many CF processors using SDS (now WindRiver) SingleStep, including MCF5206e and MCF5249, so I'm pretty sure my PC, parallel port, and BDM cable are up to the task.

Here's what I've tried:
When I run the CFFlasher program, I click Target Config, select "M5249C3" as the target, and select "PE_LPT" in "BDM Communication". I try clicking on "Configure" to set up the LPT port and such, but absolutely nothing happens when I click the button (not a good sign). I click OK to return to the main CFFlasher window. At this point, any time I try to do anythign useful (click on "Memory Window" or "Upload" or click "Program" then "Program" or "Erase" then "Erase" or "Fill" then "Fill" ), I get the "Could not initialize BDM device" message.

I also downloaded and ran "driver_test" from pemicro.com, and got the following results:
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\inf\Pemicro_usbcable_auto.inf (11/18/2003)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\inf\CycloneProR1.inf (3/22/2005)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\inf\windrvr6.inf (4/21/2005)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\inf\usbmultilink_rev20.inf (7/15/2004)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\SENDKEY.DLL (5/29/1996)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\pedrv.vxd (7/24/2000)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\vichw11.vxd (8/28/1998)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\PEUSBFTDUN.EXE (Version 2.00)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\PEUSBV1.DLL (Version 2.00)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\PEUSBWD1.DLL (Version 6.02)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\PEUSBWD2.DLL (Version 7.00)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\giveio.sys (4/3/1996)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pedrv.sys (8/3/2000)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\WINDRVR6.SYS (Version 7.00)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vichw11.sys (10/2/1998)
(detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\PEUSBV1.SYS (Version 1.04)

I've also downloaded and run the windows registery patch from pemicro.com to disable Windows XP's "polling" of the parallel port. I also went into my BIOS and set the parallel port to "AT" type (though having it set to EPP or ECP has never caused problems with my other BDM usage with SDS SingleStep).

Can anyone give me any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

fperea
Contributor I
Hi,

I had the same problem. After a format of my PC I downloaded and installed cfflasher and P&E drivers and of course they didn't work. I reinstalled CodeWarrior. This also install a CF_Flasher at Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior for ColdFire V6.2\Third_Party\CF_Flasher . After that any copy (downloaded from freescale or original installed from CodeWarrior CD) works ok.
I think this is a drivers problem and P&E must correct, but by now just reinstall CodeWarrior 6.2 and cfflasher will works.

Regards,

Francisco Perea
HP Systems
0 Kudos

aLUNZ
Contributor I
Much as I hate to post a "me-too" post, we are having similar problems using P&E µ's USB_ML_CFE with the M5329EVB. Our problems with CFFlasher are exactly as described by Bob. In our case when running the "Test_USB_ML_CF_Hardware.exe" (from the P&E CD) we get an error dialog reporting:
-==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
Firmware updated failed. Retry?

Current Firmware: 5.34
Update Firmware: 5.39
-==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-

If I then click on 'No' at the retry prompt the test runs and reports success. I contacted P&E about this and they provided updated firmware and test utility. The new firmware now installs OK, yet the new test utility now reports failure and CFFlasher still reports that it "Could not initialize BDM device". (We also managed to kill one of BDMs when attempting to downgrade the firwmare (on P&E's instructions) - but that is another rant).

Is anyone else able to get CFFlasher to work with recent versions of the P&E BDM device? P&E are now saying that as CFFlasher is not their product they are unable to help any further.

Any ideas or sympathetic war stories would be appreciated at this point.

Cheers,
aLUNZ
0 Kudos