cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1050 RMII to WiFi module RMII, MAC to MAC, without PHY, Azure Net Duo

STDMED
Contributor II

Hi experts,

We are working on a project using Azure RTOS and have come up with a new approach.

We are currently using a physical connection between PCBs via ethernet between RT1050 and a WiFi module (xPico XPC240300S-02).

current.PNG

I have been looking at the possibility of removing the PHY layer completely and connecting these two devices using the RMII connection of both.

target.PNG

From what I've read in the forum, people seem to have achieved satisfactory results, although it's not exactly the same case.

Is it possible to make this connection between the RT1050 and the WiFi module using only the RMII connection without transceivers or magnetic?Would it be possible to use the Azure Net Duo API with these modifications?

In theory and connections it seems very simple, in practice it seems something complex or without viability.

Another option would be to keep the PHY layer but without wires, using traces and controlled impedance to integrate this on a single PCB.

Alter.PNG

What do you think? can anyone contribute some information? it seems that with a little work it could be done, at least, some of you have done similar things.

Any comments are welcome

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
12 Replies

STDMED
Contributor II

Hello again!

No one can contribute anything to the case?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Just like I replied before, the wifi module is key to the design, once the wifi module is confirmed, the hardware design is confirmed too. Otherwise, it's meanless to discuss how to design the hardware connection.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

STDMED
Contributor II

Hi,

I already provided the WiFi module reference above, xPico XPC240300S-02.

Thanks,

Have a nice day,

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
According to the datasheet of the XPC240300S-02, its host interface only supports the serial port, in a word, I don't think it's able to connect the Wifi module via the ENET module.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

STDMED
Contributor II

Hi jeremyzhou,

According to Lantronix documentation, this module has an ENET interface, we have performed tests using ENET interface with PHY, Magnets and xPico in Bridge mode, everything works correctly. That is why we started this topic.

In the official documentation you can see the ENET connection interface on the xPico.

I attach a screenshot:

xPico ENET.PNG

https://docs.lantronix.com/products/xpico-200/ig/functionaldescr/#ethernet-connections-to-an-externa...

Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks !!!

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
After going through the datasheet, I don't find the XPC240300S-02 support the RMII interface, so you'd better contact Lantronix to confirm and ask them to share some advice about hardware design.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

STDMED
Contributor II

Hi jeremyzhou,

I have attached the module design documentation in the previous post, the link you attach is not the datasheet, it is only a summary of features.

Please check the link above where you will find the complete documentation and partial designs.

This is the datasheet of the module:

http://www.lantronix.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Lantronix-xPico-200-Data-Sheet.pdf

https://docs.lantronix.com/products/xpico-200/ig/functionaldescr/

Thanks,

Have a nice day,

KR,

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
After having a brief review of the above datasheet, I think the below connection is available.

jeremyzhou_0-1649637682507.png

However, to be prudent, you'd better contact Lantronix to confirm. 
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
Firstly, the below connection is definitely available.

target.PNG
Moreover, in the SDK library, there's the driver for the PHY chip: KSZ8081RNB, and you can refer to the attachment to modify the driver to fit the LAN8720.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

STDMED
Contributor II

Hi jeremyzhou, thanks for replying, I think it was not quite clear the idea, sorry for my mistake, I have edited the initial post and attached new images to clarify which is the connection.

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply and clarification.
In my opinion, the wifi module is key to the design, once the wifi module is confirmed, the hardware design is confirmed too. Otherwise, it's meanless to discuss how to design the hardware connection.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

STDMED
Contributor II

Hello jeremyzhou,

The tests we have carried out have been over Ethernet, using two development boards, one for the WiFI xPico XPC240300S-02 module and the other with the RT1050. This is the reason for the elimination of the PHYs and magnets.

Thanks!

Have a nice day,

0 Kudos