imx6ull custom board wont boot

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx6ull custom board wont boot

pyraohms
Contributor III

We have a custom board based on the imx6ulevk, but unfortunately we can not boot it. We have tried/verified the following:

• PMIC set rails correctly: (VDD_AR_SOC_IN=1.40V, VDD_HIGH_IN=3.29V, VDD_SNVS_IN=3.01V, NVCC_ENET=3.28V, NVCC_SD=3.3V, NVCC_UART=3.28V, DRAM_VREF=0.675V, NVCC_RAM=1.35V, NVCC_NAND=3.28V, NVCC_GPIO=3.28V, VDD_ADC_3P3=3.3V, NVCC_LCD=3.28V)
  • LDOs in processor seems to work (ARM_CAP=1.17V, SOC_CAP=1.17V, VDD_HIGH_CAP=2.5V, NVCC_PLC=1.12V, VDD_SNVS_CAP=1.12V)
  • Oscillators 32kHz and 24MHz are running
  • When connected to PC via USB, PC reports Unknown Device after reset is released, there is USB bus activity about 3 seconds after reset release.
  • UART-1 is connected to terminal program (115200bps), nothing comes out here
  • We see that POR (pin P8) is de-asserted after PMIC is started, we have also manually released reset via a reset switch on the interface board
  • ONOFF button logic seems to work, turns off PMIC after 5 sec press and re-starts PMIC after 1 sec press
  • We can connect to A7-core with a Segger J-LINK connected to JTAG pin-header correctly (we have no debug environment in place yet to manipulate core through JTAG though)
  • We have tested various BOOT-MODE configurations
  • We do not see any activity on DDR3-RAM
  • System draws just 0.4W after reset release
  • PMIC type is MC34PF3000A7EP
  • Processor type is MCIMX6Y2CVM08AA

We're expecting the board to be able to boot using SD-card (verified on the EVK), or to show up as a HID-device in the PC environment.

Would be extremely thankful for any guidance!!!

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

iancaddy
Contributor III

Hi Per,

We have a customer imxULL board and I also have the imx6ULL EVK and I can not seem to get either of them to work well with openocd.  Did you end up using openocd for your debug tool and if so, would you mind sharing your configuration files for openocd, such as imx6ull.cfg and openocd.cfg files?

I am using an Olimex ARM-USB-Tiny-H and I can get a connection to the processor, but I can not get it halted or reset.

Any adivce would be appreciated.

regards,

Ian Caddy

0 Kudos

pyraohms
Contributor III

Thank you for the response. We will look into the links provided.

Updated info:

1. We can connect debug-tool (JTAG) and start an example file (for imx6ull sdk), like “Hello World”, this example code is running ok and we see the prompt “Hello World” out on UART1.
  2. DDR3 -RAM is working
  3. We have verified that BOOT_MODE info and BOOT_settings (24-bits) are read correct in registers
  4. We have tried to start the ROM-BOOT code manually (via the J-TAG), we see same as during normal boot; i.e. nothing happens
0 Kudos

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Per,

If you have already verified all that you mentioned, it’s strange that the i.MX is not botting. So, independently of the voltage levels on rails, you must ensure a proper power sequence in order to guarantee a correct boot (otherwise, it will not boot, or could be damaged).

You could refer to the following link for additional details:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/305928

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

pyraohms
Contributor III

Information from OpenOCD debugger:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "jtag". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Warn : imx6.sdma: nonstandard IR value
adapter speed: 1000 kHz
Info : No device selected, using first device.
Info : J-Link V10 compiled Mar 27 2017 14:04:52
Info : Hardware version: 10.10
Info : VTarget = 3.367 V
Info : clock speed 1000 kHz
Info : JTAG tap: imx6.dap tap/device found: 0x5ba00477 (mfg: 0x23b (ARM Ltd.), part: 0xba00, ver: 0x5)
Warn : JTAG tap: imx6.dap UNEXPECTED: 0x5ba00477 (mfg: 0x23b (ARM Ltd.), part: 0xba00, ver: 0x5)
Error: JTAG tap: imx6.dap expected 1 of 1: 0x4ba00477 (mfg: 0x23b (ARM Ltd.), part: 0xba00, ver: 0x4)
Info : TAP imx6.sdma does not have IDCODE
Info : JTAG tap: imx6.sjc tap/device found: 0x088c101d (mfg: 0x00e (Freescale (Motorola)), part: 0x88c1, ver: 0x0)
Warn : JTAG tap: imx6.sjc UNEXPECTED: 0x088c101d (mfg: 0x00e (Freescale (Motorola)), part: 0x88c1, ver: 0x0)
Error: JTAG tap: imx6.sjc expected 1 of 4: 0x0191c01d (mfg: 0x00e (Freescale (Motorola)), part: 0x191c, ver: 0x0)
Error: JTAG tap: imx6.sjc expected 2 of 4: 0x2191c01d (mfg: 0x00e (Freescale (Motorola)), part: 0x191c, ver: 0x2)
Error: JTAG tap: imx6.sjc expected 3 of 4: 0x2191e01d (mfg: 0x00e (Freescale (Motorola)), part: 0x191e, ver: 0x2)
Error: JTAG tap: imx6.sjc expected 4 of 4: 0x1191c01d (mfg: 0x00e (Freescale (Motorola)), part: 0x191c, ver: 0x1)
Error: Trying to use configured scan chain anyway...
Warn : Bypassing JTAG setup events due to errors
Error: JTAG-DP STICKY ERROR

0 Kudos