cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX6 vpuenc keyframe distortion

edison_fernande
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm trying to encode a video to H264 using the iMX6 vpu encoder and I noticed a distortion every time an IDR frame arrives, you can see the distortion as a blur in the image mainly in areas of high detail. I was able to reproduce the issue using both the gstreamer plugins and the mxc-vpu-test.

Attached is a couple of videos, one is generated with the mxc-vpu-test using this command:

mxc-vpu-test -E "-f 2 -c 1000 -w 1920 -h 1080 -b 5000 -g 30 -x 1 -o /video_test.264"

The test by default doesn't generate IDR frames, but I modified it to generate them as follows:

if(frame_id % enc->cmdl->gop == 0) enc_param.forceIPicture = 1;

else enc_param.forceIPicture = 0;

The other one is using gstreamer configured to generate the same bitrate and as you can see, the blur appears every second.

I also attached a video with no IDR frames (and using a GOP of 30) and as you can see there is no distortion.

The problem is that I need IDR frames in my stream and increasing the bitrate seems to improve the quality but the problem is still there.

Is there a way to improve/eliminate this distortion?

Is this the expected behaviour for the baseline profile? I'm asking this because I saw a similar behaviour in a stream generated by a TI SoC configured the same way.

The videos were generated using kernel 3.0.35 and this firmware version:

VPU firmware version: 2.3.10_r40778

VPU library version: 5.4.19

but I've also seen the problem in newer versions.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Edison

Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I don't find distortion when I open you uploaded video, could you tell me which one has issue??
enabling forceIpicture can  generate IDR successfully

0 Kudos