您的意思是: 
已解决

difference between Yocto Community BSP and Freescale BSP Release

跳至解决方案
25,351 次查看
haizhouli
Contributor III

Hi all

I am new to freescale imx6. Currently we are switching from OMAP to IMX6.

Based on the information on

Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform · GitHub

If I follow

repo init -u https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform -b daisy

repo sync

I should be able to build a daisy image.

However:

based on meta-fsl-bsp-release quick start guide:

Quick Start Guide

-----------------

First install the i.MX Freescale BSP repo

$: repo init -u git://git.freescale.com/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git -b imx-3.10.17-1.0.0_ga

Download the Yocto Freescale Layers

$: repo sync

Run i.MX Yocto Project Setup

$: MACHINE=< machine name> source fsl-setup-release.sh -b <build directory> -e <backend fb, dfb, wayland, x11>

This will copy the machine configuration files, then run the Yocto Project community setup

and update local.conf and bblayer.conf in build directory with the meta-fsl-bsp-release layer.

After this step, you will have everything to build an image.

------------

I can see that imx-3.10.17-1.0.0_ga is based on dora.  imx-3.10.17-1.0.0_ga was published one day before Daisy.

Here i have several questions:

Did  imx-3.10.17-1.0.0_ga was pushed to Daisy stream?

Is daisy a superset of  imx-3.10.17-1.0.0_ga?

Why two different methods to build images? Since I am new, I do not know the history.

Which one should I use?

Thanks a lot

Haizhou

标签 (2)
1 解答
7,085 次查看
OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

The goal of both projects are different.

The Freescale Official Release BSP is intended to provide a static base for Freescale to test and validate the BSP modules in the Freescale evaluation boards and it is developed internally by Freescale. The set of supported boards vary from release to release and is listed in the Release Notes for the respective version. The code points[1] to a static revision of every included layer so after release it does not receive updates and bugfixes.

1. http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git/tree/default.xml?h=imx-3.10.17-1.0.0...

The FSL Community BSP is a reference system that can be used as a base for products and is an open project that accepts contribution from the community. It supports a wide range of board which goes from Freescale evaluation boards (meta-fsl-arm layer) and 3rd party board (meta-fsl-arm-extra). The code is a “moving target” so there are updates on top of the source code released, such as addition of new features and inclusion of bug fixes.

To summarise please see the table below:

Freescale Official Release BSP

FSL Community BSP

Intended use

Reference system for BSP modules test and validation on Freescale Reference Boards

Reference system for use as base for any project for all supported board

Code

Static, does not include bug fixes

Updates, receive bugfixes and has security issues fixed often

Contribution

Not possible, developped internally by Freescale

Open, everyone is welcome to contribute in the project

Board support

Limited, as it supports just the Freescale evaluation boards listed in the Release Notes

Extended, as it supports both Freescale evaluation board and 3rd party board. Currently supports 39 board

Yocto Project Compatible

No

Yes

Support

i.MX Community

meta-freescale@lists.yoctoproject.org

在原帖中查看解决方案

3 回复数
7,086 次查看
OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

The goal of both projects are different.

The Freescale Official Release BSP is intended to provide a static base for Freescale to test and validate the BSP modules in the Freescale evaluation boards and it is developed internally by Freescale. The set of supported boards vary from release to release and is listed in the Release Notes for the respective version. The code points[1] to a static revision of every included layer so after release it does not receive updates and bugfixes.

1. http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git/tree/default.xml?h=imx-3.10.17-1.0.0...

The FSL Community BSP is a reference system that can be used as a base for products and is an open project that accepts contribution from the community. It supports a wide range of board which goes from Freescale evaluation boards (meta-fsl-arm layer) and 3rd party board (meta-fsl-arm-extra). The code is a “moving target” so there are updates on top of the source code released, such as addition of new features and inclusion of bug fixes.

To summarise please see the table below:

Freescale Official Release BSP

FSL Community BSP

Intended use

Reference system for BSP modules test and validation on Freescale Reference Boards

Reference system for use as base for any project for all supported board

Code

Static, does not include bug fixes

Updates, receive bugfixes and has security issues fixed often

Contribution

Not possible, developped internally by Freescale

Open, everyone is welcome to contribute in the project

Board support

Limited, as it supports just the Freescale evaluation boards listed in the Release Notes

Extended, as it supports both Freescale evaluation board and 3rd party board. Currently supports 39 board

Yocto Project Compatible

No

Yes

Support

i.MX Community

meta-freescale@lists.yoctoproject.org

7,085 次查看
LaurenPost
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Other answers are correct but here is more info on to why.

When we do a release we always do it on the last stable Yocto Project release.  3.10.17-1.0.0_GA was based of of dora branches.  Current development is on daisy branch.  When we code freeze before each release we lock our manifest to that point in time and release based on that and after our release we move to the tip of Yocto Project branches.

Each release once it is externally available is then upstreamed into next Yocto Project release.  About 90% gets upstreamed - 100% of the core components.  What is not upstreamed are usually configurations and components needed for testing but not standardlyl required for Yocto Project layers like udev rules.  Sometimes it takes about 4-6 weeks to upstream the release into the next release sometimes sooner.

Our 3.10.17-1.0.0_GA release was based off of dora branches because that was the branch we code froze on.   Currently 3.10-17-1.00_GA is on the daisy branch as it was upstreamed very quickly.  However our 3.1031-1.1.0_alpha branch has not yet been upstreamed into the master branches.

In the case of 3.10.17-1.0.0_GA I highly recommend using the daisy branch.  The openssl was updated after our code freeze date so does not have the security fix that is part of daisy branch.

Lauren Post

i.MX Yocto Project Team Lead

7,085 次查看
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

This subject can cause confusion but to put it simply, the FSL Community BSP Is a “moving target”. It has a contribution strategy and support any added board (not just Freescale’s). This is part of the Yocto Project as a whole.

The meta-fsl-bsp-release (Freescale BSP) is static. It points to a static commit in the manifest and does not accept contribution as it support only the boards listed on the Release Notes and it’s not part of the Yocto Project.