Mipi Display support on imx8mq during uboot

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mipi Display support on imx8mq during uboot

dennis3
Contributor V

In the uboot sources I'm using for Android 10 (2.3.0), there is mipi bridge drivers, but not necessarily for the imx8mq.  It seems that part of the DTS files has not been updated.

Example:

imx8mq.dtsi

mipi_dsi: mipi_dsi@30a00000 {
				#address-cells = <1>;
				#size-cells = <0>;
				compatible = "fsl,imx8mq-nwl-dsi";

In the drivers directory, there is no driver that is compatible with imx8mq-nwl-dsi.  Also missing is a driver for the dphy (imx8mq-mipi-dphy)

There is however drivers for 

• dcss (drivers/video/imx/imx8m_dcss.c)
  • lcdif (drivers/video/mxsfb.c)

There are however drivers that seem to be close:

• northwest,mipi-dsi (drivers/video/imx/mipi_dsi_northwest.c)
  • fsl,imx7ulp-mipi-dsi (drivers/video/imx/nw_dsi_imx.c)

Are any of the existing drivers compatible with the imx8mq cores?  Has anyone already done this work to bring up the imx8 mipi display during uboot?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello dennis3,

There are support for MIPI on MX8MMini the dtb is for MIPI-DSI OLED display, it works for Linux and Android 10.

Regards

0 Kudos

dennis3
Contributor V

Thanks for the reply.  When I looked at those drivers it gave the impression the mini had different IP and used different drivers.  Are you saying the imx8mq is compatible with those drivers?

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes, for the MIPI OLED it works

0 Kudos

dennis3
Contributor V

Here is the imx8mm.dtsi section for mipi_dsi:

mipi_dsi: mipi_dsi@32e10000 {
                #address-cells = <1>;
                #size-cells = <0>;
                compatible = "fsl,imx8mm-mipi-dsim";

The address block for  the mipi controller on the imx8mq is 30a00000.  I think I'm missing how these are compatible and how the mm driver can work on the mq.  Am I looking at the right file/driver/documentation?

The sec_dsim_imx driver lists the following as compatible controllers:

{ .compatible = "fsl,imx8mm-mipi-dsim" },
    { .compatible = "fsl,imx8mn-mipi-dsim" },
    { .compatible = "fsl,imx8mp-mipi-dsim" },

Suggests to me this is compatible with the nano and the plus, but not the imx8m quad? 

0 Kudos

mattwittenberg
Contributor I

@dennis3, did you ever figure this out?  I am just getting started and running into the same problem.

Thanks, Matt

0 Kudos

dennis3
Contributor V

No.  We ended up switching processors and going with the imx8mp (plus) instead.  I don't believe tech support's answer that the quad has a driver for mipi in uboot is correct since they never responded with clarification on the driver.  The driver referenced is clearly is not written for the imx8mq and I couldn't find another alternative driver that is.  

The quad supports mipi fine after uboot in the Linux kernel so I don't see any reason it can't drive mipi during uboot but I don't believe there is a driver ready.  You'd have to port it from Linux.  I'd love to be wrong about this but so far no further information from support.