A Quick Boot OS for the Quick Start Board?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Quick Boot OS for the Quick Start Board?

Geoff1z
Contributor I
I'm interested to know if anyone is working on a port or eCos (or other fast boot OS) for the i.mx53 QSB.  Linux just doesn't meet our requirements, I'd be happy to be proven otherwise but it seems the best we could hope for on a tuned linux implementation would be about 700ms.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Geoff1z
Contributor I

sure gjsmith@vardr.com

0 Kudos

XXiao1z
Contributor III
this is less imx535 related, we can discuss this offline i think
0 Kudos

Geoff1z
Contributor I

We wish to capture images in about 200 - 300 ms from power up (i.e. power applied, not from sleep, from a true cold start).

It appears from various discussions I've had that linux cannot be coerced to boot faster than about 700ms. So that leaves:

1. do something tricky while booting linux 
  2. boot a different OS (like eCos) that doesn't have linux's limitations
  3. boot no OS and run bare metal

Hope this makes sense.

0 Kudos

XXiao1z
Contributor III
while capture images in real time is quite normal, but i don't see why it requires a 700ms boot up time?
0 Kudos

Geoff1z
Contributor I

We need to capture images from a cmos sensor preferably through the h.264 encoder to memory.

If necessary we could capture the images raw to memory and pass them through the encoder later (not preferred but possibly the only way).

Achieving the fast boot with linux would be a good answer as its not clear how we might access the hardware encoder from a different OS since they seem to be only supported via linux drivers.  i.e. eCos has the boot speeds but integrating in support for the hardware encoder may be a headache.

0 Kudos

XXiao1z
Contributor III

what service do you need immediately after the boot up? network? storage? video on screen?

while 700ms is challenging if you don't need much right at the bootup moment it's still possible.

0 Kudos