[i.MX8QM] Weston g2d renderer: video cannot reach 30 fps when display with other animation

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[i.MX8QM] Weston g2d renderer: video cannot reach 30 fps when display with other animation

dothanhtrung
Contributor II

Hi,

I am comparing performance between g2d renderer and GL renderer in Weston. And in a case, displaying video over a Qt animation window, video cannot reach 30 fps in g2d renderer, although it can in GL renderer.

My test environment is:

I have tested by running 2 programs in the same time: gst-launch-1.0 and an example qt app moveblocks (with a small modification to make it show in fullscreen).

• Step 1: Run moveblocks first, in fullscreen.
  • Step 2: Play video (1280x720, 30fps) with command:

gst-launch-1.0 -v filesrc location=720p.mkv \
    ! matroskademux ! queue \
    ! h264parse ! v4l2h264dec \
    ! queue \
    ! fpsdisplaysink \
        video-sink="waylandsink window-width=1280 window-height=720" \
        text-overlay=false sync=false

Screen will look like this: with Qt animation behind and video view on top.

photo_2022-09-05_18-24-30.jpg

Result is:

g2d rendererGL renderer
Video FPS< 20 FPS30 FPS

I thought i.MX8QM could handle 720p@30 video easily when display with other windows. Are there any limitations prevent g2d renderer playing video in higher fps? or do you have any suggestions to improve performance of playing video in g2d renderer?

Thank you very much.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello dothanhtrung,

You are using toradex board with toradex bsp, with latest BSP from nxp you can have the 30fps with qt and g2d.

Regards

0 Kudos

dothanhtrung
Contributor II

Thank you. I have tried download image for LF_v5.15.5-1.0.1_images_IMX8QMMEK. However, it cannot boot on the Apalis board. Do I need to use another image of build it with Yocto?

0 Kudos