cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKW41Z troubles using MWS module for BLE and 802_15_4 coexistence on same IC

guduru_vanaja
Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the co-existence of the BLE and 802_15_4. I am using MKW41Z microcontroller with IAR. I am able to switch radio from the BLE to 802_15_4 and vice versa through MWS module. 

• At start, both BLE and 802_15_4 layers are initialized and the MWS default callbacks defined in BLE Link Layer and 802_15_4 Link Layer are both registered with MWS_Register() API.
  • The 802_15_4 configuration is  ZIGBEE_MODE mode at 250kbps datarate. BLE config is the default and only allowed BLE_MODE at 1Mbps datarate.
  • In my application, If have a 802_15_4 packet to send out/Rx from other device , then I am going to acquire XCVR through MWS_Acquire(gMWS_802_15_4_c,false) API. Once I am done with Tx/Rx then I am calling MWS_release(gMWS_802_15_4_c).
  • Similarly,I configured BLE advertisement interval as 250ms.  
  • I am able to connect to BLE device through android application &able to send/receive gatt data. This BLE communication happens only when i call MWS_SignalIdle() functions every 250ms.

• My question is,

Why the BLE LL never acquires the radio module if the 802_15_4 LL doesn't call a MWS_SignalIdle() constantly?

4 Replies

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Just to understand the issue.

You can your hybrid example, which SDK version are you using ? Did you use one demo as a base?

You get to work with the 802.15.4 send the message, release the radio the the BLE communication happens, the issue is that you need to call the MWS_SignalIdle() constantly because if you do not do that the communication stops on both protocols?

Regards,

Estephania

guduru_vanaja
Contributor II

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using ble_802_15_4_fsci_black_box demo as a base from SDK_2.2.0. 

My issue is, if i use both 802_15_4 & BLE ,then both protocols are working perfectly fine. If I do not use 802_15_4 say for example 5-10min, BLE is not acquiring XCVR resources so that i am not able to see BLE advertisements in that period of time.  If I call MWS_SignalIdle() constantly when 802_15_4 is Idle,then BLE is working fine.

what could be the reason for this? 

Thanks& Regards,

Vanaja

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

The first thing that I would need you to do is to migrate to the latest SDK version which is the 2.2.1 , once you do it, could please verify that the device has the same issue ?

It seems kind of strange for me as the device and the examples usually give the priority to the BLE communication , what did you modify to make those 5 minutes and 10 minutes time frame separation ?

Reagrds,

Estephania

0 Kudos

guduru_vanaja
Contributor II

Hello,

I am using ble_802_15_4_fsci_black_box demo as a base from SDK_2.2.0. 

My issue is, if i use both 802_15_4 & BLE ,then both protocols are working perfectly fine. If I do not use 802_15_4 say for example 5-10min, BLE is not acquiring XCVR resources so that i am not able to see BLE advertisements in that period of time.  If I call MWS_SignalIdle() constantly when 802_15_4 is Idle,then BLE is working fine.

what could be the reason for this? 

Thanks& Regards,

Vanaja

0 Kudos