Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32DS Config Tool Extremely Slow with S32K3 HVBMS

shivchopra5
Contributor II

Hello all,

Me and my team need your help!

We are creating our HVMBS application and are having trouble with how extremely slow the configuration tool is. It is so slow to the point it is unusable.

We are using the S32DS version 3.5 with the S32K344 chip.
We are using the RTD version 3.0 because that is what the sample NXP HvBms application uses.

We used the NXP provided HvBms application as a starting point.
Opening the .mex file in this project takes over 8 minutes. Adding one pin in the configuration tool hangs the software for a few minutes.
We have tried this same project on different modern computers with 32gb ram and 13th gen intel 17 processor with the same result.

We have also edited the S32DS.ini file as per this post and have allocated 16gb ram. Here are the settings I changed ↓ 

-Xms4096m
-Xmx16384m
-Dcom.nxp.swtools.codegenscript.timeout=60000

The HvBms project is large and uses a lot of MCALs. It seems like every time an edit is made it tries to regenerate the whole code.

My assumption is that someone must have created this project in the first place and would have a way to get around this.
How should we configure the S32DS to make the configuration tool useable? Are there other techniques to make the S32DS faster?

Your help is much needed for us to continue forward.

Thank you,
Shiv

Screenshot 2024-01-11 153246.png

10 Replies

jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

the config tool performance issue fix is part of S32DS v3.5 Update 11. The update is available as an offline update package in Code Drop condition. 

jiri_kral_0-1712062516691.png

0 Kudos

jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

the issue is fixed and will be part of next S32DS Update, unfortunately I don't know the exact date, probably next month. 

0 Kudos

AndreasStolze
Contributor III

Hi @jiri_kral 

is there a preview/beta version available to see how performance improved?

This would allow you also to get feedback from the users.

BR
Andreas

0 Kudos

punithchandra
Contributor III

It is the same issue for me as well. I was thinking it is the problem of the PC. But looking at the community posts, it is clear that the issue exists for many of the users. Increasing the timeout, RAM allocation, closing every single application etc have no impact on this. The issue still exists even with the latest 3.5.10 version of S32DS.

0 Kudos

AndreasStolze
Contributor III

I can also confirm, that it's nearly impossible to work with the config tool.

Even our config currently just with Port and Dio (RTD 4.0.0, S32DS 3.5.10) takes minutes to open.

0 Kudos

jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

here are some tips from dev team. Because the project is really huge - dev tam suggest to increase timeout value in s32ds.ini file. With default install path is the file located in c:\NXP\S32DS.3.5\eclipse\ folder. The value should be updated to bigger number than is default 60000 - but it depends on particular PC:

jiri_kral_0-1707745883785.png

Other recommendation is disable code preview. With active Config Tool perspective click on ConfigTools -> Configuration Preferences and disable Code preview:

jiri_kral_1-1707745883783.png

jiri_kral_2-1707745883701.png

Dev team also suggest to use latest S32DS updates. Latest version is v3.5.10. 

0 Kudos

Dflo
Contributor I
Hi jiri_kral,
Do you have anymore improvements? All of your suggest I tried but It does not Improve
0 Kudos

richespiritu
Contributor II

i'm having the same issue with the original post. Just opening the config tool takes minutes even with the modifications you mentioned. Also running 3.5.10.

0 Kudos

Z_JF
Contributor I

Hi, same problem here with a big project. I am using the latest version. I have tried increasing allocated RAM and timeouts too, have tried on different computers and it is impossible to work with the IDE. Just clicking anywhere in a config perspective causes the IDE to freeze for several minutes.

A couple of colleages have the 3.4 version and it is working propperly for them. Do you have any additional tips or ideas other than working with the previous release?

0 Kudos

nehalp
Contributor III

I am seeing the same issue, to a lesser degree, in just getting the pins mapped for the MR_CANHUBK344 eval board. After about 60 pins, there are multi-second pauses when editing in the Pins tool, while the tool regenerates code. 

0 Kudos