cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LS1046A broken RCW JTAG recovery issue

Robbo76
Contributor I

Hello!

We have a custom board LS1046A design and I broke the RCW which we have in QSPI flash.

I read the RM stating to use the RCW SRC 0x9F and then "just" re-flash the RCW. It says nothing about where the RCW could be, just do not start cores or DDR. Just do it. Reading that you can get the impression that nothing else is needed. But I would be surprised since reading the hard coded RCW values QSPI is not setup.

Then going on the the Target manual for Code Warrior it points out to use the OVERRIDE feature in the JTAG init script following a correct target connection setup. But this does not work. I get the processor to halt but when I then start the flash programmer it gives error when trying the execute the "cw_reset" command in the python scripts.

Just to be clear on one thing: Even though our RCW is totally different from the hard coded 0x9F version I should not need to change the RCW and still be able to flash the QSPI?

There are a lot of open questions not answered in the document. Here is two:

* If you choose a hardcoded RCW, 0x9F for instance, it sounds like you get a certain "profile" of RCW values in all 512 bits. It also sounds that you cannot change a single one of them. But then in the scripts you DO change them. That is contradictory??!!

* In the RM it is stated that you should not run cores or init DDR if using the hardcoded RCW. But in the scripts you DO!!??

If you have any light to shed here I would be very glad since it would benefit our board bring up turn around times greatly :smileygrin:

Thanks

BR

Robert

0 Kudos
3 Replies

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It could be more convenient to recover the board by booting from SD card.

Please refer to the QorIQ LS1046A Reference Design Board Getting Started Guide, 17.1 Console not showing any print.

0 Kudos

Robbo76
Contributor I

Thanks för the reply ufedor.

This is a custom design. We have no choice of controlling the rcw source. on top of that we don't have SD anyhow. To fix a corrupted RCW on our design I would be surprised if there is any other option than JTAG. Of course we have Dediprogs to flash the QSPI flash but it is not as convenient as a Codewarrior JTAG setup would be.

And the reason why I thought it was possible is because in the Target Manual for Code Warrior it explicitly states you can save a broken RCW on a custom design with JTAG.

In CWTM 11.3.1 chapter 9.4.2:

"It may not be possible to use the above recommended procedure under all circumstances, for example in cases when a
custom board design does not include switches to select RCW_SRC, or when physical access to the board is not possible.
In this situation, an alternative procedure involving overriding RCW though JTAG can be used."

What is the intent with this text?

Thanks

HE

Robert

0 Kudos

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1) Please confirm that you have read the CodeWarrior Development Studio for QorIQ LS series - ARM V8 ISA, Targeting Manual, 9.4.2 Board recovery by overriding RCW through JTAG.

2) Were you able to make copy the LS1046ARDB configuration script and modify it by setting "useSafeRCW = True"?

3) Set the modified connection as active and provide screenshot of the modified connection test results (after pressing "Diagnose Connection" button in the "Target Connection" tab).

0 Kudos