cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U-boot and DTB common practice

mg2045
Contributor I

Hello, 

I am now working on board bring-up in one of our boards. We have Ethernet interfaces that (probably) won't be used by U-boot at all so I skipped configuring them in U-boot and got them working in the kernel by modifying and adding the appropriate nodes to the DTB.

I am having hard time deciding whether to leave the Ethernet interfaces not configured in U-boot and focus in the kernel. What is the common practice in this situation?

BTW, To get the Ethernet interfaces to work in the kernel, I commented out the Ethernet specific modification to the FDT by U-boot before passing it to the kernel.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

U-boot is just a boot loader, and this software is independent from Linux (that is - may be used as loader for other type systems), so basically Ethernet configuration in U-boot is not required to be the same as you are using in Linux. For boot loading purposes (TFTP communication) you can enable and configure only one Ethernet port, leaving other ports untouched, and than configure these in your Linux by providing proper DTB to kernel at kernel load time.

Have a great day,
Alexander
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------