NHS3100 / NHS3100TEM0DB Android App issues...

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHS3100 / NHS3100TEM0DB Android App issues...

tech_34
Contributor II

NHS3100 Demo PCB (TL207_0441) does not work with the demo android app and a Nexus 7. Shortly after communicating or selecting an option, the app emits an error of 'Setting up communication with the NTAG SmartSensor failed. Re-Tap or update the firmware. 

This is running Android 6.0.1. 

Is there a compatibility problem? I also have the same issue when using a Samsung Galaxy S5. 

The latest app_demo_dp_tlogger has been flashed to the demo board and the latest app has been installed from the Google play store. 

I do not have an iPhone that I can use as an alternate test. 

Please advise if this is a known issue and if there is a workaround. 

I am able to communicate with the device using the a pn7150 based reader, however, writing a demo from scratch was not the purpose of purchasing this demo board. 

Thank you, 
Karl

Tags (2)
12 Replies

driesmoors
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

When debugging the tlogger demo application, bets is to avoid the Deep Power Down and Power-off states: any ongoing debug sessions broken when these states are entered, plus the states may not fully complete when power is still provided via LPC-Link2 debugger board.

For this, in SDK 11 alpha and onwards, you can define APP_MAINTAIN_SWD_CONNECTION in maintlogger.c. Look at line ~29.

0 Kudos

tech_34
Contributor II

My Android related problem was resolved by flashing a pre-built or compiled RELEASE build of the tlogger firmware. The LPC-LINK2 then needed to be absolutely disconnected from the demo board or my own board (in particular the SWDIO and SWDCLK pins) or the problem persists. I have no issues using it to power my own board so long as the SWD pins are disconnected. 

Depending on the device I use, I have varying degrees of sensitivity issues with the demo board (Nexus 7, S7, S8, S9+). The S9+ appears to make the strongest connection with the board at a wider degree of ranges. The N7 for example is an exercise of hunting until you find a good solid point of connection. If connected to android studio as a target, it would even change the connectivity characteristics. 

This now works with both the android app built from the SDK or pulled from Android Play Store. 

I am unable to use debug builds or actively debug without issues. 

I have a separate problem when taking the firmware out of the Android environment and pairing it with say a PN7150S driven by an LPC1768. I'm hoping to get separate assistance with this, however, the android environment is doing something that I seem to not be replicating externally. 

Hope this helps. 

Regards, Karl

0 Kudos

alexander_avnet
Contributor I

Hi! Did you solve the problem? I have the same issue - "Re-tap or update software". App version v17 How can I make it work?

0 Kudos

driesmoors
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I'm still confused by his findings, as I can't replicate them; however, a bug is present in the SDK, which only (possibly) shows in a Debug configuration (...). Switching to a release build gave a better performance. 

Did you use a Debug build of the firmware?

0 Kudos

tech_34
Contributor II

Hello driesmoors‌, 

Could you please advise on the above? You had advised that you would be looking into it. 

Thank you, 
Karl

0 Kudos

driesmoors
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Can you contact me privately? I cannot reproduce your issue, and I want to check with you what else we can do to help you.

Tx,
Dries.

0 Kudos

tech_34
Contributor II

Thank you I have sent a longer explanation in a private message. 

0 Kudos

driesmoors
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Can you give me the version of the tlogger firmware, and the version of the tlogger APP? After tapping the tag, both versions should be listed on the bottom half of the first screen in your app.

Thank you,
Dries.

0 Kudos

tech_34
Contributor II

From the Nexus 7 - 

APP v1.7 | SW v1808.11 | API 5.0

This has been flashed with the firmware from release_mra2_10_1_nhs3100.zip on the NXP web site. 

Thanks, 
Karl

0 Kudos

driesmoors
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Tx.

We will check it and keep you posted. In the meantime, you can try SDK 11 alpha, downloadable from NHS3100UCODEADK - NHS3100 - UCODE-I2C|NXP 

Kind regards,
Dries.

0 Kudos

tech_34
Contributor II

Installed the pre-built t-logger and one built from source against the included alpha app with no luck. The messages about needing to retap and install new firmware have stopped, but the app and firmware are no more functional than they were before. 

While trying to debug the issue with the existing firmware and simple pass some messages back and forth. With the deep sleep disabled, and sending/receiving.. it seems as though there is almost a significant race condition between the time a message is written to the shared NFC data area and the message is picked up by the firmware to parse. An actual pause in the receive notification callback was needed to allow the message to be processed without corruption.

This was for passing back and forth a GET UID request. 

Thought this might be of interest. 

Thanks, 
Karl

tech_34
Contributor II

Confirmed also an issue on a Galaxy S7 running Android 6.0.1. 

0 Kudos