Information about NFC reader can be read via NTAG-I2C Plus?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information about NFC reader can be read via NTAG-I2C Plus?

Jump to solution
norihiromichiga
Senior Contributor I

Hello, 

I was asked from our customer if MCU behind the NTAG-I2C plus can know information about NFC reader side, such as vendor ID or unique ID.

More specifically, when they use NTAG-I2C plus with recent iphone as NFC reader,

they want to know if iphone can send unique ID information along with NFC commands to NTAG.

In my understanding, any NFC command such as REQA done't have ID field.

So, we can't support our customer's expected behavior. 

Could you correct me if this understanding is wrong?

If iphone can write data to NFC tag,

I think above idea can be implemented with NFC application and MCU.

Thanks,

Norihiro Michigami

AVNET

0 Kudos
1 Solution
IvanRuiz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You are correct. The exchange of data between the smartphone and the host MCU has to be carried out by writing to or reading from the NTAG I2C memory which will act as a "bridge". For this, an application on the Smartphone has to be developed to carry out the Read / Write operations to the tag. It is possible on Android OS. Nevertheless, it is important to remember that iOS currently supports only the read operation.

Regards,

Ivan.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
norihiromichiga
Senior Contributor I

Hello Ivan,

Thank you for your answer.

I understood that expected operation needed to develop application with NFC reader supporting R/W operation.

Thanks,

Norihiro Michgiami

AVNET

0 Kudos
IvanRuiz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You are correct. The exchange of data between the smartphone and the host MCU has to be carried out by writing to or reading from the NTAG I2C memory which will act as a "bridge". For this, an application on the Smartphone has to be developed to carry out the Read / Write operations to the tag. It is possible on Android OS. Nevertheless, it is important to remember that iOS currently supports only the read operation.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos