Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port BSP or go bare metal with PE?

Jump to solution
alexx_88
Contributor III

Hi,

We've been developing about 50% of our project on the TWR-K21F120M development board with MQX. With the product's board arriving (MK22FX512VLK12, K22, 120Mhz, 80-pin package), we are torn between taking the time to port the BSP to the new chip or port whatever HW-dependent code we have now to a bare-metal application and using PE to generate the hardware-dependent code. I'd say that the current code would take around a week to take from MQX to PE.

Could anyone estimate the kind of effort required to do the BSP port? Maybe suggest a different BSP to start of, rather than the TWR-K21F120M one?

Thanks,

Alex

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi RadekS,

Yes if you change everything about the design, each change does add additional time to the port.

The PE also helps to quickly change the target processor.

The porting guide greatly helps speed up the porting effort especially if you have many changes to the design.

The porting guide refers to using PE to help quickly change clock source and type and frequency in the BSP (Note: All MQX BSP's are PE ready).The first time through the process does take some time but that is why there is the porting guide to hopefully help speed up the process.

Keep the feedback coming.  We appreciate your efforts.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It depends…

If you use the same crystal, porting should be “easy” (thanks to MQX_BSP_Porting_Guide) and it could take for example just 1 day.

However if you use different crystal (new clock settings), many changes on hardware side and if you are not experienced in MQX BSP, it could take also one week of work.

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi RadekS,

Yes if you change everything about the design, each change does add additional time to the port.

The PE also helps to quickly change the target processor.

The porting guide greatly helps speed up the porting effort especially if you have many changes to the design.

The porting guide refers to using PE to help quickly change clock source and type and frequency in the BSP (Note: All MQX BSP's are PE ready).The first time through the process does take some time but that is why there is the porting guide to hopefully help speed up the process.

Keep the feedback coming.  We appreciate your efforts.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
alexx_88
Contributor III

Thanks for the information.

We've decided to go the "bare-metal" route for this project in order to minimize possible delays. I did finish the BSP port in the end, it didn't take more than 2-3 days and a couple of tests that I ran showed it to be pretty stable, though.

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alex,

Please read me contribution to the following post:

MQX code difference between Kinetis K60 and K20 MCU

It has Porting Docs that will be in the MQX4.1 release late this month or on February 30+ something (i.e. beginning of March).

Regards,

David 

0 Kudos