Understanding MCUXpresso Structure

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding MCUXpresso Structure

KaySel
Contributor I

I do find the MCUXpresso environment difficult to grasp and getting started with actual development is not that easy as one typically run into issues that are not easy to resolve in my mind. Typically I face that driver/library files and headers are not found, duplicated, duplicated in different versions and resolving this requires a bit more than programming skills appearantly. 

There are quite a number of videos and application notes which is perfect, but most seems to rely on the reader already being fluent in the MCUXpresso internals and structures or it's very basic and only showing how a SDK is installed without the in-depth information on what the SDK really consists of.

I am familiar with hardware, assembly, C/C++, compiling, linking and many development tools, but obviously I do lack the insight into how MCUXpresso maps all this together. 

What is the best source for reading up on, and playing with the basics of MCUXpresso and get to learn how the files, modules, includes, compiler and linker puts this together?

Some issues that I face are:

What purpose do each of the driver/lib files included have (fsl_common, fsl_clock vs. clock-config etc) and how do they relate?

What is the overall structure of a project - where can I get information about include files, libraries, compilers, linkers etc?

.. and why don't the files have an introduction text? The copyright notice is not useful really.

Where is the "Linker file" - it's mentioned in the migration 1060/1064 guide, but I only find stubs of the content in the GUI and no actual file?

MCUXpresso is Eclipse based from what I read. Does that mean that any C/C++ project in Eclipse will be implemented pretty much in the same way in MCUXpresso?

I am unable to find decent i.MX RT-1064 EVK board information. Should I use the EVK 1050, 1060 or some other EVK board information (1050 is really good) instead?

My project is i.MX RT-1064 based using internal Flash, having LCD, Touch, UART, SPI, USDHC, GPIO, Ethernet, WiFi, NFC and other features as required functions/features. Hence, I really need to learn how to put different modules/drivers into an integrated solution.

I do not intend to complain, but want to learn how to become more fluent in developing advanced MCUXpresso/RT systems.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kay, I hope you're doing well!

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.

To get a better idea of how to start development with devices like the RT1060, we offer some Quick Start guides, like this one here. This guide describes the process for importing SDK examples and starting your own development.

We also recommend taking a look at the MCUXpresso IDE User's Guide, which can be found here.

About the "fsl_" files, these contain the source code for the different drivers offered in the NXP SDK. There are drivers available for the peripherals included in each device.

EVK and other Development Kit information can be found in each product's summary page. There's a section of the page showing the available evaluation and development kit for each device variant.

Still, if you have other specific questions, please let me know so I can provide more information.

Best regards,

Sebastián

0 Kudos