cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QorlQ boot configuration details for LS1012A

nilavchoksi
Contributor III

Hi NXP Team,

We want to design our custom board and I can't find boot configuration option(like SDCARD/eMMC, QSPI etc.) in datasheet and even in reference design.

Please help here and share us boot configuration details for LS1012A Processor. It will be good if you share us boot configuration diagram or schematic if available.

Labels (1)
2 Replies

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The device needs QSPI flash to be connected to store RCW (Reset Configuration Word) and PBL (Pre-boot Loader) data.

Pre-boot loader allows pre-configuring device registers, so you can pre-initialize any internal block before releasing the core from reset. So actually with using PBL you can boot from any device. QSPI flash is the default option to store boot image.

Also, you can have several booting options via U-boot - if you have U-boot programmed into QSPI memory, you can configure this U-boot to boot linux from another device, for example from SD card.

If we talk about our Linux SDK, than please look Linux SDK documentation at www.nxp.com/infocenter for deployment options.

Have a great day,
Alexander
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

luka_pirnat
Contributor II

I'm not sure I understand correctly: you do need QSPI to load RCW and PBL data, right? There is no other way, except for the hard-coded RCW, correct? Then you can boot to OS from any device, but this first stage needs to be QSPI.

Also how big should the QSPI flash (NOR) be to hold the RCW, PBI and U-Boot? Does the 4MB W25Q32FW suffice? Are there any other limitations regarding CPU I should consider when choosing flash?

0 Kudos